Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Pulverized Limestone

Old 03-26-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Pulverized Limestone

Anybody know the best way to spread pulverized lime? it seems that everyone is carrying the pulverized rather than pelleted and it is cheaper too, but im not sure what would be the best way to spread it.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:20 AM

Default RE: Pulverized Limestone

We have to go to the coop and rent a lime spreader. They sell the lime as well. I think the spreader is for about 4 tons of lime, so you don't want to buy it in 50lb bags. It is very reasonable from the co-op though. I called multiple feed stores and they wouldn't rent me a fertilizer spreader, they said the lime does too much damage, although I'm not sure why. I read on another post on here that some guys get a load dumped into the back of there pick up and use a gas powered lawn blowerto apply it while they are driving. I have no idea how well it works, but it is an option. Call around and talk to some farmers in your area to see what they are using for application.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

i'm the one that posted the leafblower in the back of pickup method about 6 years ago on here. it works. it'll take about30 minutes to blow out half a ton of lime. although i suppose it would be faster if you had 2 people in the back of the truck.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM

i'll prolly give that a try then. i got an F150 and someones giving me a really good backpack blower.

thanks for the info
Old 03-26-2007, 06:05 PM

Around here, when you buy the lime from the co op or feed store, they come spread it for you in a truck designed for spreading lime. They told me they wont put it in a fertilizer buggy because it will break the chains, because it is heavy, and will pack in the bottom. Im having the problem of not being able to get a lime truck through the woods to my plots, but thats going to change very soon.