Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

what kind of oak tree is this?

Old 04-17-2007, 07:31 PM

Default RE: what kind of oak tree is this?

once again the leaves are from the same tree....and i know with out a doubt....well alot of people have the same trees in the area and i went to the local stores and all they carry is shumard oaks that are a type of red oak.....and if there only selling this kind i would think that they would be a shumard just because of its popularity but thats not a fact....the acorns are small cmaybe about marble size or a bit bigger....
Old 04-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry, but the leaves on the small tree in the fourth pic (Red Oak)are NOT the same leaves as are in the previous pics. The leaves in the first pics are more rounded than the "pointy" leaves of the last pic.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: early in

Sorry, but the leaves on the small tree in the fourth pic (Red Oak)are NOT the same leaves as are in the previous pics. The leaves in the first pics are more rounded than the "pointy" leaves of the last pic.
I agree completely that the leaves look different, but juvenile leaves of a lot of trees do not look like they 'should'. You can even see major differences in leaf form sometimes of leaves from a single tree depending upon the position in the tree's canopy, so they may very well be from the same tree.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:13 PM

yeah exactly usfwc when the oaks are juveniles alot of times the leaves do not look the same i have some that are just like the ones from the tree and then others are rounded but im starting to see them form ....i planted about 30 at the ranch acouple of weeks ago i still havent gone to go check up on them though.....the leaves might not look the same but they are the same tree....and oh yeah the acorns are pretty small from about 1/2 to 1 inch ...
Old 04-24-2007, 08:12 PM

Its sounds like you've got it figured out! There are a lot of Oaks out there but it is definitley a type of Red Oak. The deeply lobed leavesand pointed tips give that away.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:51 PM

yeah hopefully i do ksbowman