Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

what kind of oak tree is this?

Old 03-20-2007, 03:04 PM

Default RE: what kind of oak tree is this?

well it looks like one of those that you posted up i just dont know which one.....heres somepiks of the bark....

Old 03-26-2007, 02:29 PM

well i went yesterday and planted 6 of these oaks and right after i planted them it started to drizzle and then i think it constantly rained all night so they will have plenty of water atleast
Old 03-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

I don't know if they grow in Texas, but it looks like a Burr Oak to me. We have them in Pa. When you find out for sure,post it or PM me. I'm curious.
We have Burr Oaks.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:27 PM

posion oaks
Old 03-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: the kidd

well her are some piks of some oak trees that started growing in my front yard...i am planning on transplanting them to the ranch where i hunt..i moved them from the ground into these pots today there are still like 10 more in the ground but i just wanted to know what kind of oak trees these are..thank you

Exposure to Posion Ivy and Posion Oak
Poison ivy and poison oak are toxic plants that commonly grow in the United States and Canada. They are members of the plant family called Rhus. These plants are similar in their appearance, growth, and effects on humans and can be more severe in spring and on new growth.
The poisonous ivy and oaks contain an oily substance, urushiol, which causes irritation and blistering of the skin. Human reactions vary from extreme susceptibility to near immunity. Just becoming older can have a tempering effect on the severity of the rash. The condition is most serious on children and young adults.
[/align]
Old 03-27-2007, 07:16 PM

Its a Swamp Oak, one of the first pictures shown was a pin oak. But when you went and got the leaves and got a close up of them those leaves were from a different tree than the first picture you posted

Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 PM

trophy taker the leaves were the same leaves that i scanned...i finall found out what kind of oak it is....it is called a shumard oak...i planted about 16 this past weeek end
Old 04-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello Kidd; if you check the links that I attached before the bark looks a lot closer to the Nuttal oak. Why do you say it's a Shumard (that link is there too)?

Dan O.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:51 PM

the other day i asked my niegbor about the trees he had in his front yard he told me the story behind them and then he noted that they were shumard a type of red oak......and well long story but if 30 of those plants were in my yard i would think they were from his trees.....and also those aare young trres as they get older the bark darkens
Old 04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why didn't you ask him in the first place? Arrrgggg.

Dan O.

Quick Reply: what kind of oak tree is this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.