HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   rock and a hard place (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/184563-rock-hard-place.html)

yeoman 03-14-2007 11:23 AM

rock and a hard place

Looks like I'm between. There are only two ag outlets that sell and spread lime, and both are far enough away from me that they don't want to do my little 6 acre field. Seems the farmers nearby buy and spread their own. One of the distributorswill bring 8.5 ton (I could use 12) and would charge $550!The farmer who was farming my field resigned when he could no longer grow a crop in it, leaving a PH of 4.5. Nice huh. I don't know what the heck I'm going to do.

npaden 03-14-2007 12:09 PM

RE: rock and a hard place

Sounds pretty bad. I'm sure if the PH is down to 4.5 you are going to find that you need a lot of fertilizer also and it isn't cheap either.

I would start chatting up some of the local farmers and see if they would be willing to run a load for you for about 1/2 what you would otherwise be paying the distributor. They would probably think that was easy money and you would be getting a big discount over what you would have to pay the distributor.

I need to get some soil samples pulled on my land and see what kind of shape it is in.

Rebel Hog 03-14-2007 05:03 PM

Yep! I remember doing a soil sample about 20yrs ago and the AG office said I need 1/2 ton of Dolomite per acre and600lbs per acreof 10-10-10. My Ph had dropped to abouta 4.25.

I did a soil sample called the 5 spade method. Take one sample from each corner of the property and one from the middle and then mix them together in the container they provided.

It's Farmtax deductable, but you have to put out the $$$$ up front.:)

req 03-15-2007 10:08 AM

Has anybody used for a food plot Aeschynomene or buckforage oats, what month of the year did you plant you food plot. Did you get a good turn out, what fertilizer did you used. I can use all your help.
thanks
Lake City Fla.;)

Rebel Hog 03-15-2007 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: req

Has anybody used for a food plot Aeschynomene or buckforage oats, what month of the year did you plant you food plot. Did you get a good turn out, what fertilizer did you used. I can use all your help.
thanks
Lake City Fla.;)
reg, this is what is recommaned for North FL

Cool-Season Forages for Wildlife - Bradford County Extension

Dan O. 03-15-2007 03:40 PM

I agree with talking to your neighbours. They may be buying lime and you mightbe able to get part of their order.

Dan O.

timbercruiser 03-15-2007 06:09 PM

We planted our Buck Forage Oats the third weekend in Sept this year and had a real nice stand. This is in South Bama.

alsaqr 03-16-2007 04:31 AM

Planted buck forage oats in early October. The stand is still doing well. Garvin county, OK.

nchawkeye 03-16-2007 11:33 AM

That's still cheaper than buying 40 pound bags yourself at about $3.50 a bag and spreading yourself....If you're going to play you've gotta pay...:D

yeoman 03-16-2007 07:38 PM

I've got two farmers to speak with before I cave to the $550. Problem is, they tend to lime here every 3 years or so. Maybe I'll get lucky.

You're right Hawkeye, gotta pay to play.