Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

rock and a hard place

Old 03-16-2007, 07:58 PM

Default RE: rock and a hard place

Most of the time the only guy that makes any money off of lime is the guy hauling it. They probably have to charge you the same amount of freight for 8.5 tons as they would for 25 (standard load size)which will run the price up. Try finding some pellitized lime. 500-800 lbs. per acre sounds about where you would need to be (depending on CEC and BpH) and you would be able to do it yourself. Pellitized lime will react quicker than most ag-limes but you will have to reapply quicker (probably one - two years) instead of 4-5 for ag-lime because of the finer particle size.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: rock and a hard place

do you have a tractor? when i buy fert from the grain elevator i get a buggy type spreader to spread the fert. i also use it to spread lime. it takes 2 people. one to drive the tractor and another to sort of feed the lime out the conveyor with a shovel.

there is also my patented "pickup truck and leaf blower" method.

lime costs $6/ton here.