HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   home made mineral licks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/181120-home-made-mineral-licks.html)

matters 02-18-2007 05:16 PM

home made mineral licks

Do you guys have any recipes for mineral licks. I've heard of using dicalcuim phosphate and trace minerals any suggetions?

Iron Archer 02-18-2007 07:57 PM

RE: home made mineral licks

I don't have a recipe but I did talk to a local wildlife agent,(my area) and he said there is no need for licks and block where I manage due to the soil.
I would definately talk to them because it could save you some money.

Good Luck

IL-Cornfed 02-18-2007 08:47 PM

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADEMINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of, mineral and then each year there after.

It works

Note: Please check your local game laws. Unfortunatly we can no longer use ANY mineral sitesin IL and haven't been able to for a few seasons now. The only proof that I have that this recipestill works is because a handful of friends from other states still send me pics from their sites. Good luck

Hiawatha 02-18-2007 10:55 PM

They seem to really hit cattle blue block salt here alot especially if it has been out for a long time in rains and such so it soaks into the soil. I have heard of other guys putting softner salt in a burlap sac and dragging it around behind the quad on the ground beating it into the soil.

matters 02-19-2007 12:02 PM

thanks guys.

answerguy 02-19-2007 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

I have heard of other guys putting softner salt in a burlap sac and dragging it around behind the quad on the ground beating it into the soil.
What does this do? The salt is of little value and spread around behind a quad would be so little as to be non-existent.

timbercruiser 02-20-2007 06:49 AM

Cornfed, why do you add white salt to the trace mineral salt? Isn't the TM salt 90+% salt?

answerguy 02-20-2007 07:15 AM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Cornfed, why do you add white salt to the trace mineral salt? Isn't the TM salt 90+% salt?
Replace the white salt with dried molasses to get the deer to use it more.

Derag2 02-24-2007 04:55 PM

Id take the salt out completely.... as state Trace mineral already has salt in it, and salt don't do deer any good, they'll get plenty of salt out of the trace mineral..... I'd mix in some dry molases as said and color it done.... Or just go buy mineral block from bomgars and break it up and put half or 1/4 in each spot.... when it rains it goes into the ground. Go down to co-ops or somthing and see if them got bag mineral thats busted open or got wet and hard that they want to get rid of or get it for free....

DanM3029 02-24-2007 05:22 PM

Where do you buy dried molasses?