Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

home made mineral licks

Old 02-24-2007, 06:01 PM

Default RE: home made mineral licks

Feed store usually have dried mollasses around here we get it at southern states.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:16 AM
Fork Horn

This mix is what I use and it is a great minerial mix. You guys are right that the salt has no nutrietial value, but it is used as an attractent. I would love to use the dried molassas but here in Missouri that would be considered baiting and the entire lick would have to be removed before hunting. Although I do not hunt my minieral licks I just don't take any chances with baiting laws. The minerial mix as written is recomended by the MDC and not considered baiting in Missouri.

We have been using it for about 5 years now and we are deffinantly seeing a difference in the deer seen and taken.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:51 AM
Spike

I just put three out using the mixture of dical salt and trace mineral salt and the next day was riding around and one already had tracks around it and depressions in it like where they stuck their nose in it. had no idea they would visit it before it got in the ground.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder how this would work with other animals around? There are currently cattle and wild pigs on my property and I wonder if this would just be a wasted effort on the deer or if the cattle and pigs would pretty much leave it alone? Any ideas?

Thanks, Nathan
Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

I wonder how this would work with other animals around? There are currently cattle and wild pigs on my property and I wonder if this would just be a wasted effort on the deer or if the cattle and pigs would pretty much leave it alone? Any ideas?

Thanks, Nathan
You have to put up fences.That's what we have done to keep out the pigs from eating all the protein/minerals/etc for our deer. We do have places though for the pigs to enjoy.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: slobbyrobby33

This mix is what I use and it is a great minerial mix. You guys are right that the salt has no nutrietial value, but it is used as an attractent. I would love to use the dried molassas but here in Missouri that would be considered baiting and the entire lick would have to be removed before hunting. Although I do not hunt my minieral licks I just don't take any chances with baiting laws. The minerial mix as written is recomended by the MDC and not considered baiting in Missouri.

We have been using it for about 5 years now and we are deffinantly seeing a difference in the deer seen and taken.
Here's the website for how to make the mix I think he is talking about:

http://www.mosportsmen.com/land.htm#minrecip
Old 03-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Just rember one thing guys. when it comes to minerial licks deer do not use it all the time.

In the spring when does are prepairing to fawn and when bucks are developing new racksand through the winter after the bucks are rundown and in poor condition from the rut is when they will get the most use.

Unless the herd is just run down and in poor condition during the rest of the year they will hardly use it. They will only use when they need it. That is why I don't like to add things such as molassis to mine because for the best health of the herd, they will find it when they need it.

I just don't want you guys to get discouraged if come summer time you don't see any use out of it.

If you want to use minerial licks this is the time of year to get them out, or at least it is here in the midwest.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

What I did this year was buy 2 50lb salt blocks and 1 50lb trace mineral block and a bag of black magic. I busted and grounded the blocks to make a very chunky powder and then mixed the black magic in with it. so far the deer have really dug up the ground around them.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: zmschillin

What I did this year was buy 2 50lb salt blocks and 1 50lb trace mineral block and a bag of black magic. I busted and grounded the blocks to make a very chunky powder and then mixed the black magic in with it. so far the deer have really dug up the ground around them.
It's a whole lot easier to buy the bagged loose salt than busting up blocks.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, i found that out the hard way

Quick Reply: home made mineral licks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.