Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Brassica plots

Old 07-20-2020, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Brassica plots

On Friday I planted 3 half acres of Big N Beasty from Frigate Forage Because my records show that I planted last Aug. 8 and The plots didn’t come out so good do to lack of rain.

Based on my solid test which was outstanding and having a chat with someone fro Penn State agriculture he advised me to spread 1 bag of 46–0-0 and 1 bag of 10.10.10 and disc them into the ground. I then dragged an old bed mattress behind the quad for a nice seedbed. After seeding I went over plot with a cultipacker.

Yesterday we had a brief thunderstorm and again this morning we had another one. Hopefully, this is a good start and it grows good this year.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

well best of luck to you
typically I don't plant any of like seeds(rape, turnips or others) till later Aug, due to heat and dry weather
as planting too early can be worse some times than planting too late, all the more so since it seems like winters take longer to happen anymore with temps staying warmer and warmer later and later inbto the fall!

one thing to keep in mind also, is, when you do any soil test, and the soil needs anything to be added, it takes time for the changes to happen, before the soil is capable of growing the seeds you plant
all the more so when PH is off,
adding lime can takes months or yrs to get corrected and its never a once and done deal!
so, just keep that in mind

NEXT too, is when your looking at any seeds, most all should all have information on there growth time, as in some seeds are a 40 day, some are a 45 some are 50-60-90-100 day till they mature, so pending the seed itself(not just brand name or type of plant
as many of the same types can have all different seed to growth rates!
so, knowing this can also help determine when to plant things,

Old 07-20-2020, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

According to their web site, they recommend planting late July or early August with a 45 to 60 day growing season is recommend. With last years failure due to no rain, I had this past weekend to plant with some rain in the forecast or it would have been by the second weekend in August by the time I got back up to the property.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

as they say, you can never know what weather will be
and some times we all have to do things when we have time
things can always work or not, just a gamble to some point!

I have pl;anted it as late as end of Aug and had it grow, but I typically plant 45 day Rape seeds, or purple top turnips
as it sure seems like past many yrs warm weather lasts long into late Oct or even mid Nov

I think you'll be fine, after all were planting for deer not our income here when we do food plots!

post some pic's if you can, we all like pictures you know LOL

Old 07-21-2020, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

When I go back up in August I have two more plots to do. I have a remote plot that I did not plant because it needed another dose of roundup & I will plant the same seed and fert. as the other plots and could compare plots growth.

I also.have a power line going thru my property that was cut down last year and I sprayed roundup on a 40 ft. by 40 feet area a few times since May. I was just going to throw some winter rye down in September to see what grows.

What is the easiest way to post photo's from my I phone or IPad.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

Plot update- On Aug. 10, I Planted my remote plot in Big N Beasty and yesterday I took a chance and put a bag of urea on all 3 of my plots that I planted in July because there was a 50% chance of rain. Right now my plots are between 6 and 8 inches high and I was blessed. It started to rain around 10;30 PM and It was still raining when I got up at 1:30 AM to go to the bathroom.

I also was able to cut my 2 clover plots because weeds were high so the rain was perfect timing. Next update will be in Sept. when I go back up to plant some oats and throw some winter rye down.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

nothing beats good timing on rain when planting, NOW for things to keep getting some rain now and then is key too!

best of luck to you, , do you ever spray your clover plots?
I never had much luck controlling weeds without it
mowing just never did much on the weeds and before long they would always choke out my clover!
Old 08-13-2020, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Earlier this the spring and in June I used Post Plus fo control the grass. I also used Slay in June to control the weeds.

3 weeks ago, my clover plots never looked better so In That 3 week period the weeds were getting high and taken over the plots and I ended up cutting the clover lower than I normally do.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I planted mine July 25th. They are 3”-4” high right now. When I planted I also spread 19-19-19. In another week or two I will hit them with 46-0-0. Have always had good luck with this technique. We do get plenty of rain in Vermont so that’s never an issue.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:09 AM
Fork Horn

Plot update

The remote plot I Did On Aug. 10 is about 3 inches high so I added a little urea yesterday and we got a little Drissle for about 10 minutes last night so I hope that helps this plot.

Two of my other brassicas plots that I did in July are Still about 8 inches high. However, the one plot the tops are starting to turn yellow and I don’t know why.

Both plots were planted and fertilized the same way along with adding urea On Aug. 10 and later that night we got a good rain. I’m up at my property this weekend for Labor Day but there is no chance listed on the weather app for rain this week so I will not waist any money on more urea at this time. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.