Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Broadcasting small seed like clover...... >

Broadcasting small seed like clover......

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Broadcasting small seed like clover......

Old 03-06-2017, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

I just run over the small plots with my atv tires on small plots try of course to run over all area only takes a bit of time but really tamps down seed to soil
Old 03-09-2017, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have broad casted Clover by hand but ended up buying the Seed Spreader You hang on Your shoulder and crank to spread the seed out much better.

I've been using the Pennington Durana Clover and it is more hardy,drought resistant,does well in partial shade and with stands heavy browsing!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:00 AM
Spike

You could also mix your clover with some oats. That works well for me. Even though my land is a crop farm, I put some down in a pasture near my duck pond, (about 2 acres worth as a test area) and it worked.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Spike

I use an Moultrie ATV Spreader on several larger fields as well as a the over the shoulder Planters Bag when doing smaller plots. I use a 5' cultipacker to press the seed in that I can either pull behind me on the ATV or use the 3 pt. hitch method as it will go both ways. I prefer the atv method of packing because the tractor can press the seed in to deep. If I have tilled the area, I do a pass with the coutipacker before seeding and again afterwards. On one field I seeded with oats before the first cultipacking then sspread the clover and pulled over it agqain. Neighbor uses his drag harrow and then seedsand lets a rain cover the seed with the slightly loosened dirt.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Spike

I learnt years ago to spread seed and fertilizer at 50% suggested rate and do it 2 times. Learned this after running out half way through the 1st time.
I also use a cultipacker before sowing small seed then re-cultipack after sowing seed.
On large seed like oats I till, sow seed, run a drag across the sown seed. If seeding small seed like clover on top of the oats I cultipack after dragging, sow clover seed and re-cultipack.

Last edited by Grumpy Old Guy; 09-23-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

For clover and rape, I used to use a Scotts Easy Hand Held manual spreader. However, the small seeds would get caught in the spinner plate and caused lots of trouble. I'd eventually break the gears or the handle.

Now I use a Scotts Wizz Spreader. It's battery powered and super easy to use. Has a very precise spread rate meter and it spreads small seeds like clover and handles larger seeds like wheat or oats great.

I simply hold it down by my side and walk my plots. For small seed like clover that's hard to see coming out, I hold my hand in front of the spinner to get a feel for how many are coming out.

I've found this spreader is much easier for me to use than the Earthway hand operated over the shoulder I used to use.

I would post URL's but I can't until I get 10 posts.

Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 09-24-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by PHENIXVA
I use an Moultrie ATV Spreader on several larger fields as well as a the over the shoulder Planters Bag when doing smaller plots. I use a 5' cultipacker to press the seed in that I can either pull behind me on the ATV or use the 3 pt. hitch method as it will go both ways. I prefer the atv method of packing because the tractor can press the seed in to deep. If I have tilled the area, I do a pass with the coutipacker before seeding and again afterwards. On one field I seeded with oats before the first cultipacking then sspread the clover and pulled over it agqain. Neighbor uses his drag harrow and then seedsand lets a rain cover the seed with the slightly loosened dirt.
I used the Moultrie electric ATV seed spreader this year and I'm also impressed with the results.
On a plot of radish-turnip I set the seed flow at 50% and sowed it 2 times.My oats plot I did the same 50% and sowed it 2 times. It took about 2-3 minutes to sow 1 ac and not walking on the sore knees and hips.
I would buy the Moultrie ATV spreader again. At about $125 retail it's a great bargain but I bought mine at wholesale cost of $86 and my son even paid for that so was a great deal. LOL

Last edited by Grumpy Old Guy; 09-30-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

we just use 1 bag of lime as a carrier and the tires of the 4-wheeler will press and cause good seed to soil contact
Old 08-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by YTCLT
I mix ladino in with whitetail institute clover/chicory mix. I can't say one clover is better than the other but I can say that deer absolutely hammer the WT chicory. As for seeding it I use an ATV spreader (gemplers) which works well and can be controlled well for small seeds. Lastly, someone mentioned dragging over clover seed...I wouldn't as clover seed that gets buried more than the smallest amount (1/4 inch) won't germinate. Other seeds yes, but clover, no.
PLEASE share what kind, brand, and how you spread straight clover with ATV spreader... I have way to much to do it all by hand...
Old 08-20-2018, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Timbuktu Farms
PLEASE share what kind, brand, and how you spread straight clover with ATV spreader... I have way to much to do it all by hand...
he postyed this over a year ago, so doubt he will reply
I personally use a hand spreader for clover, up to 3 acres at a time too, its WORK, but I get a better control over the seeds being spread as there so fine
I have used an atv mounter electric spreader for larger seeds and fertilizer, but woudn't use it for clover, seeds are too costly
if you have access to a Farmer near by that has a good seed drill for small seeds, they can maybe be hired to seed things if your planting LARGE area's
that or your going to be wasting a LOT of seeds by putting down too thick with a atv spreader IMO

Quick Reply: Broadcasting small seed like clover......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.