HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Trees on strip propety (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/179878-trees-strip-propety.html)

hossofadoc 02-10-2007 08:01 AM

Trees on strip propety

I was thinking about planting some trees on a stripped minedproperty that I bought. Any suggestions?

answerguy 02-10-2007 08:29 AM

RE: Trees on strip propety

Maybe cactus maybe arctic spruce. It really depends on where your property is. Where is your property?

hossofadoc 02-10-2007 08:36 AM

Eastern Kentucky, in the heart of the Applachains Mts.

chuckclear2000 02-10-2007 09:35 AM

if you are looking for fast growth, take a look at hybrid poplar.

timbercruiser 02-10-2007 10:35 AM

I would call your local county forestry office and get some local advice. I don't know if you are talking about 5 trees or 50,000 trees or what your objective is for the property.

GR8RALLY 02-10-2007 11:08 AM

I agree with the others. Contact the local DEC or Forestry Office for assistants. How many acres do you plan on planting, what is native in your area, are you looking for solely hard mast or soft mast trees as well. Hook us up with as much details and I'm sure you'll receive some good advice. Your local DEC may offer seedling trees really cheap, but your looking at 8-12" trees. I'm ordering 750 various Spruce and Firs from my local extentsion and they will proably reach 6 foot in about 5-7 years. Best of luck!

hossofadoc 02-25-2007 10:29 PM

I have 800 acres of land, native to the area is Oak (red and white), poplar, sycamore, burch, elm, hickory, walnut to name a few. I am mostly looking to try and replant most of the land for hunting purposes (for deer, elk, squirrel, and turkey). I was thinking about oaks, walnut and hickory.I don't really have aset goal on how much I'm going to plant...I just want to start reforesting the land.

timbercruiser 02-26-2007 07:56 AM

That much area I would definitely check with my local NRCS office and the State Forestry office. It seems there would be Federal or State assistance on a project like that on stripped mined property. I thought the companies that did the mining were required to reclaim the land to a useful state. There may besome money available from the company. Laying out roads, future food plots and doing soil test would be my first priority.

USFWC 03-01-2007 07:26 AM

Like timbercruiser said, you should have some cost-share money available to help with reclaiming the land...NRCS, state forestry would be your best bets.