Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Feeder Set Up?

Old 02-06-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Feeder Set Up?

I am setting up a feeder soon and was wandering the height that the spinner needs to be set at. No bears in my area, but not sure at what distance it needs to be from the ground for deer. Will they mess with and damage the spinner at all? Would like to keep it low so I can fill it from a step ladder, just not sure. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:36 PM

Default RE: Feeder Set Up?

i hang mine high enough to where theres no way a deer can reach it and a bear would have to stand and stretch to reach it.....mine holds about 150-200lbs corn....i have a pulley on a limb and a handwinch attatched to the tree so i can just wind the feeder up and down
Old 02-09-2007, 09:00 AM

Thanks Bobby! Anyone else ever set up a feeder? Surely you guys have. Where's the love boys!!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bspencer

i hang mine high enough to where theres no way a deer can reach it and a bear would have to stand and stretch to reach it.....mine holds about 150-200lbs corn....i have a pulley on a limb and a handwinch attatched to the tree so i can just wind the feeder up and down
We do the same here in FL!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:49 AM

Ours are built on legs not hung from a tree.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard to deer chewing on the spinners if they can easily reach them, but I don't know. I just manually put out feed twice a week.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Texas Hog Hunter

Ours are built on legs not hung from a tree.
Tex, we do it cause of the Bears!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

You will need to hang your feeders high enough that deer won't be able to reach them or they will. Off of the top of my head I'd say at least 8 feet unless you have a varmint cage around it. Deer will stand on their hind legs to get what they want from the feeder.

The other problem we had was with raccoons. We finally defeated them with large diameter varmint cages. When we used smaller cages the raccoons would just reach through and spin the corn out. They got the best of us for quite some time.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:22 PM

"The other problem we had was with raccoons."

We had a problem with coons for awhile until we wired the tree with insulators and electric fence wire.We put the electric fence shocker in a coon proof box. This thing haselectrocuted a few coons.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another thing you might try, take a piece of flat aluminum about 1" by 3", bend it sort of like a small piece of angle iron, get a couple of small screws and screw it to the flat top of the spinner. When it goes off it will scatter the corn over a bigger area rather than it concentrating right under the bottom of the feeder. You might have to adjust the size of the aluminum a little as well as the time of feeding.

Quick Reply: Feeder Set Up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.