Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Winter Greens & Corn Update 1-07

Old 01-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Winter Greens & Corn Update 1-07

Our first plot of Winter Greens (almost 2 acres) - held up pretty well this fall but went almost untouched during the deer season with the Mild weather and lack of snow. The plot was hit hard in last 2-3 weeks - and the deer do seem to like it. It is easy for them to get at it even with the snow. The Jury is still out for me on its usefullness. We will gve it one more honest year's try - and then decide if its worth it.

Mid September:

Early November:

Late January:

The Same with the Standing Corn - The deer really never had much to do with it this year until the snow started coming in January (2 months later than normal for us!). Now they are really really on it - so are the Turkeys.

Early October:

Early November:

Late January:

Thanks for looking - Hope the pictures help others get an idea of what they can expect for similar plots.

FH

Old 01-30-2007, 10:15 PM

Default RE: Winter Greens & Corn Update 1-07

Thanks for sharing the great pics. I do the same thing at least try lol. Believe me I think it is worth it in what you are doing. I wont quit because I do enjoy it and it is working even if you think not all that well.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

FH, have you ever tried BioMaxx or Full Draw? I live in Onondaga Co. and we are going to be putting in 3 food plots this yeart. Any recommendations? Thanks for the pics. They are great.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:29 AM

do you ever knock any rows of corn down for the deer to eat it off the ground?....ive often heard that they will pass up row after row to get to whats on the ground
Old 01-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Recommendation:

With or without farmers approval, before bow season begins, get 2 or 3 ppl and go into a standing corn field about 10 rows apart, and pick every ear of corn in ur row on one stand and throw it to the ground. When the corn is picked, there is a massive amount of food left and you will see an increase in deer in that certain field.. Once again, its ur choice on whether or not to ask the farmer
Old 01-31-2007, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: tlutterba

Recommendation:

With or without farmers approval, before bow season begins, get 2 or 3 ppl and go into a standing corn field about 10 rows apart, and pick every ear of corn in ur row on one stand and throw it to the ground. When the corn is picked, there is a massive amount of food left and you will see an increase in deer in that certain field.. Once again, its ur choice on whether or not to ask the farmer
I own a farm and if you didn't ask me about this before you did it, it would take all my self control to just ask you to leave my property and never come back.

Talk about disrespect. Its not about the corn. It's about not asking to do something to someone elses property.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

With or without farmers approval, before bow season begins, get 2 or 3 ppl and go into a standing corn field about 10 rows apart, and pick every ear of corn in ur row on one stand and throw it to the ground.
Great advice - how old are you?

I've heard of people doing this before. I've heard of Farmers kicking them off their property as a result, and giving hunters a bad name - just in general.

FH
Old 01-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great pictures as always Farm Hunter. I was wondering what heat units your corn is? Have you ever experimented with earlier, later or sweet corn to see how the deer react to it?

Dan O.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

DanM

Actually we've never tried either. They are probably good plots - but I never buy a blend unless I know exactly what is in it. I wasn't able to find what is in Full Draw, but its probably a brassica blend. I hear its a fall plot, and I have heard people say good things about it.

Biomaxx though is an expensive Roundup Ready Soybean and Roundup Ready Corn mix. We mix RR Corn & RR soybeans all the time, however the beans are never as "strong" as those grown out in the open. We mix them where corn & beans meet. Of course we spray with Glyphosate.

Prepare your soil well, it probably means as much as any type of product you might use.

Good luck in your Onondaga County plot - post your progress and I'll be happy to help if I can with advice.

FH

Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Dan O - Thanks

This year we pushed it with the Corn on a couple of fronts. We used 100 day corn instead of 85 or 90 day corn (it was a little cheaper)- and I was worried that it would not mature in time. Also - we were 2 weeks behind in planting due to rains!

Also - we did not put down as much Nitrogen as we should have. I don't remember how much we used - but we needed another 50 lbs/acre N anyhow. You can see it in the height of the corn (though it could have been the variety). Our corn was not as tall as usual, and did not stand up well to our 1st ice storm in November.

We've planted sweet corn before (for us not the deer) - and the deer really ate it when the plant was growing and the ears were in milk. When what was left over dried, the deer did not seem to prefer it more or less than the "cow corn". Also, it never dried as well.

Thanks again
FH

Quick Reply: Winter Greens & Corn Update 1-07

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.