Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

After Season Food Plot???

Old 01-25-2007, 01:28 PM

Default After Season Food Plot???

Our season will be over in a few days. Just wondering what can I do to my existing food plots I planted this fall. I planted two small fields with wheat, and winter peas. The winter peas are about gone, but the wheat is about 3 or 4 inches high. Will these plot still benefit the deerand turkey, and for how long. I would like to do something that will help with protein. I'm thinking about re-planting something this Spring, Do ya'll suggest something to plant that will do good in Central Alabama?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Chad
Old 01-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: After Season Food Plot???

Yes,wheat will help deer and turkeys throughout the winter, and they wll eat the heads in the spring...Not alot of protein there, but it will help them get through the winter...When I plant my wheat in the fall, I also add about 5 pounds of white ladino clover (Southern States has)...If your wheat isn't too thick, I would plant clover into within the next couple of weeks, then after you cut the wheat the clover will be there for next (this) fall...