Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Tree Recommendations

Old 01-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tree Recommendations

We've got a field on the top of a hill, approx 300' above a nearby river,

After many years of trying we've decided its too rocky and dry to keep wasting food plot seed on. Also its near the entrance to our property so we want to put some kind of hedge row to keep people from spotlighting the entire field. We would like to encourage deer primarily, but if there is one that bear & turkey's would like as well that would be a bonus.

So i gues im asking two questions:

1. What is a good hedge/wind break tree or shrub that will provide food?
2. What's a good, fast maturing tree to put on the other side of the hedges?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tree Recommendations

If you have adequite moisture I would plant a proper wind break: 3 or 5 rows with cedar, pine and spruce alternating to stop wind at all elevations. Behind that I would plant apples. They do quite well in my high and dry rocky areas after they get rooted.

Dan O.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:13 PM

I may get chastised for suggesting this, but if you can control them Autumn Olives are fast growing, provide berries for bear, deer, and turkeys, and will grow on the poorest soils. Some consider them a nuisance species because they are so prolific, but I would rather have plenty of them as opposed to multiflora roses and the like.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally i was going to put Autumn olive in, but its on the do not plant list for my area.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

After doing some research, and seeing what i can buy cheaply from the Virginia Forestry site, I think im gonna go w/ Sawtooth Oak and American Hazelnut.

And probably do an apple grove as well...

Any thoughts or opinions on these selections?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

For the vision break I would try red cedars. The mast trees I would plant further from the road, maybe in some better dirt.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 AM

I didn't read your post thouroughly the first time. If you're concerned about spotlighting why plant something that would draw them? I would plant something for a screen only! Have you looked at hybrid poplars? They are really fast growing trees.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im just gonna plant a small row of cedars or something for a vision break, then put the food behind it... Its a limited access road so its not a huge concern... Im more interested in providing food...
Old 01-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

After doing some research, and seeing what i can buy cheaply from the Virginia Forestry site, I think im gonna go w/ Sawtooth Oak and American Hazelnut.

And probably do an apple grove as well...

Any thoughts or opinions on these selections?
An aquaintance of mine planed some hazelnut shrubs(filbert) at his farm, the deer love them. He didn't mention turkeys, and we don't have bears, but I don't doubt that they'd like them too. Have you considered chestnuts for a mast tree? Deer and turkeys will walk past nearly anything else to eat those, beech would be another consideration and would attract squirrels too. For screening it would be tough to beat hybrid poplar, plant the columnar variety about 8' apart or 10' on center in staggered rows for a deeper screen. They'll get tall enough to screen out the jacklighters within a year. Common privet can be had cheaply, especially if you see someone trimming their hedge and offer to clean up the trimmings for them. Root the trimmings and you'll have a 15-20' high screen as deep as you want it to be and as long as you'll need in a couple of years. Russian olive grows fast and tall, and I think it sets edible berries too.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

how fast do chestnut's and beech trees grow?? im looking for a quick yeild mast. I guess if i dont really need the sawtooths, i could just plant a mix of hazelnuts and apples...

Quick Reply: Tree Recommendations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.