Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Size needed for "Safe Haven"

Old 01-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Size needed for "Safe Haven"

The trick with grazing cattle on a place is to use heavy stocking rates and short duration. Grazing cattle on a place year-round is the hardest thing you can do for the vegetation. The cattle will eat the good stuff every time it tries to grow a little. Grazing systems using more cattle, but at a lower frequency, force the cattle to eat some of the less palatable vegetation, and also gives the good stuff a little time to grow and develop unmolested.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a write-up that explains what North Texan is suggesting:

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/rotategr.html

Lawyers are right once in a while.

Dan O.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I've heard of that before. I'm going to for sure rework the lease agreement if I don't skip it for a year altogether. The tenant actually owns 1/2 section of land immediately to the east of me. One option would be to allow him to graze it on a rotational basis where he moves all of the cattle onto my property for 1 month and them moves them all back to his property for 2 months. Or He allows them to graze my place for 2 months and then takes them off it for 4 months. I would try to work it so that he had the cows off the land during the times I would most likely be hunting it. The trick would be to peddle the idea as something that would benefit us both.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lawyers are right once in a while.

Dan O.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:08 PM

This pic is one of my quarter sections that I have for a safe heaven and no pressure from others. I have made this into a great wildlife area over the past few years. It gets planted every year and by spring there is nothing left. It is visited by WT, Mule deer, elk and moose

Old 01-26-2007, 02:19 PM

This is the same quarter. This is the main plot. It gets planted with peas, wheat, barley and rye. I also have put in some corn.Also there is some alfahpa, and clover for them.I call it the south plot of the quarter, and there is a north plot abour 1/2 mile to the north. There is 3 1/2 miles of trails is 1/2 square mile. They intersect any wildlife going to the plots. There are ground blinds and tree stands. With all the trails one can get to his location from many directions. there has been 9 wt taken , nothing under 150, plus afew moose , muledeer and elk taken in the past 5 years.
I fly over each year to do photos of trails etc.

As you can see the animals have lots of hiding area and feel safe, even coming out to feed.