Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What to plant for Quail/Rabbits.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What to plant for Quail/Rabbits.

Rabbits also like to chew on the base of sumac.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:48 PM

"make sure your fencerows have sumak on them. You can find sumak virtually anywhere. It's a form of poison ivy but.... the quail eat the seeds and they won't roost too far from it."

In the late fall i drive the tractor over some sumacs and mash them down to the ground. The quail can get at the seed heads easier.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read once that Ragweed was the perfect canopy cover for young quail (against hawks & owls) - and that their seeds in the fall we a preferred food source.

We don't have a quail population or pheasant - I wish we did - I've got lots of ragweed.

FH
Old 01-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

farm hunter; we're re-introducing pheasants across the St. Lawrence from you. Game farm birds destroyed the population by interbreeding about 30 years ago and they've had to go out west to find "naturalized" birds that could survive on their own.

Dan O.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:55 PM

Pheasants have never been native to anywere in the US.
they all came from Asia
The Wild Life Departments in all states that have alot of Pheasant Hunting all release them.
THAT IS THEIR #1 ATTRACTION
it is also the main income source for those dnrs
check on a out of state 3-day license and you will fing you can't get one in any state out west for less than $100
If you have Preserve in one of those states you will also release Pheasants based on haow many hunters you have.
There are only a few Real Wild Pheasants in any state that draws alot of hunters.
So don't feel bad to shoot released birds they grow em every day

Old 01-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

daleh; you're correct about pheasants asian origins but 30 years ago we had a self sustaining poulation. Game farm birds were released and the "naturalized" pheasants disappeared. I hope the reintroductions take hold as they were a nice addition to grouse hunting in the fall.

Dan O.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

It's not a form of poison ivy, but they are closely related. The sumac seeds are an emergency food and get little from them as far as nutrition. As someone said earlier, if you really want to help them, provide nesting and brooding cover.

ORIGINAL: Tyrus21

make sure your fencerows have sumak on them. You can find sumak virtually anywhere. It's a form of poison ivy but.... the quail eat the seeds and they won't roost too far from it.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Wild Life Departments in all states that have alot of Pheasant Hunting all release them.
THAT IS THEIR #1 ATTRACTION
They used to here back in the 60s and early 70s but that has stopped. In this area now we have a field that runs for around 90 miles. It is from an under ground pipeline and now they are adding a powerline in beside it. there is a dirt road that runs through most of it. I believe that with this big long field that pheasants may make it here now. As long as they are not poached they should be able to do ok. So I currently have some pen raised pheasants and plan on adding some manchurian pheasants as well with hopes of starting them here again. I have been checking habitatnow for different things to plant as I am planning on releasing some young pheasants in the spring.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:31 PM

Quail Pheasants grouse and other upland game that anyone can buy has a problem
They are inbred so bad that they can not reproduce in the wild
(less than 2%)
Habitat is the most important thing
Did you know that a quail can starve to death sitting on top of a pile of
Millet, Millo, Wheat
Ther are only a few things that a wild quail can eat to make it through the harsh winter
Begger Lice
Lespadeza
Soy Beans
Peas
Rag weed
They also have to eat some greens such as
Wild Turnips, Mustard greens
Clover
Alfalfa
A combination of habitat food and water is what the birds need to make a come back It would also help if everyone would do there part in taking out the nest robbers