Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clay Soil Top 3 inches

Old 01-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default Clay Soil Top 3 inches

I have some areas of fill dirt on top of good soil, the clay fill dirt is about 3 inches deep, under that is good top soil. I hit it with lime and fertilizer and planted some clover in Sept of 2006, it came up, better in some places than in others, what would you do with the thin areas late this winter?

I'm thinking of putting down some manure and also frost seeding it with more clover.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Clay Soil Top 3 inches

If it's only 3" thick, why don't you just turn it over with a plow? That shouldhelp to mix the clay with the top soil. It also prevents having a layer of clay on top that prevents water absorption.

Dan O.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

what will turning it over with a disc do to the clover that has already began to grow this fall? it will kill it, won't it? I guess I can always reseed it, if I have to, I just want a nice food plot come next fall.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: portable ladder

what will turning it over with a disc do to the clover that has already began to grow this fall? it will kill it, won't it? I guess I can always reseed it, if I have to, I just want a nice food plot come next fall.
Disking and plowing aren't the same thing. But both will definitely kill your clover. However if you can manage to disk just the area that isn't growing well you might be able to reseed it and have it take off. Something else you could try is to plant a deep rooted plant like carrots or turnips they should penetrate to the topsoil and maybe you can get the clover to come up next fall.