Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

ATV's And Deer Hunting

Old 12-23-2006, 09:06 AM

Default ATV's And Deer Hunting

Are deer more shy of ATV's than of trucks riding the same area at the same time of day?

We have a discussion inmy hunt club thatthe ATV's scare the deer and that they should not be in the hunting area. I do not have a 4 wheel drive vehicle and use my atv to/from my stand. Some people want tocar pool. I see nothingwrong with that except that it putspeople at the mercy of other people as to what time they are hunting. I happen to saty in my stand longer than anyone else everyday and my atv lets me come and go as I please.

The reason they say this is because they believe that the atv's scare the deer more thatother vehicles.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:15 PM

Default RE: ATV's And Deer Hunting

I don't think it scares them off. I have rode up on deer with my atv and they never really spooked. They usually run off but they always come back. It doesn't spook them from the area.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:00 AM
XTP

In my experience, No it does not scare deer much if at all. I have rode right past deer on my quad, had deer cross a trail literally right in front of me..stop, turn around and stare at me, and also had them come out on a cut-line right where my bike was parked and start feeding ! One looked at it a couple times, then went back to eatin the grass. That said I always try to get into and out of my hunting area with the least amount of disturbance possible. Just ride in, park and shut it down as soon as possible. Then a nice quiet walk the last little way into my stand.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

In a word...no...they are no more scared of an ATV than a farm truck...I have ridden within 50 yards or so of deer many times on my ATV...
Old 12-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think it would partially depend on how much traffic/sounds the deer hear normally. If there is no traffic and all of a sudden one day you ride into the area it would probably spook the deer more than if the deer hear traffic/sounds several times a week.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think they scare deer - but I think deer hear them and associate them with hunters. I think that if a deer hears one come in and park - it is more likely aware that a hunter is nearby - then if one walks in quitely.

Just the fact that a deer suspects he is being hunted might be enough to mess up my hunt.

When I'm on stand - especially in gun season - I hear 4-wheelers constantly on ours and adjacent properties - our deer sightings go WAY down to compared to bow season - I don't think its a coincidence.

I don't know what really can be done about it - we have ALOT of gun pressure around, and everyone has ATVs.

FH
Old 12-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

I cannot imagine riding in on a 4 wheeler unless you are going over 1.5 miles or so to your stand and then I would only drive in half way or so. Im used to walking and enjoy it too. I would never say someone is wrong or abad hunter for using one though. I have been in a stand while someone drove by on a 4 wheeler 100 yards away and two does just watched it. BUT, I still think many deer are spooked by it too. I think people can get to lazy when it comes to ATV's, theres no reason to drive right up to your stand like some do, and If I hunted land with others I sure wouldn't ride an ATV at all, its really upsetting to have someone come blasting by on a 4 wheeler while your hunting.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:24 PM

i was riding on a couple of logging roads on my friends property where we hunt and i rode up on a few deer crossing the trail. i stopped about 30 yards from them and killed the motor. they looked at me for a couple minutes and then went right back to feeding. i watched em till i got bored and started up and drove off, i could see that they weren't bothered in the least. i wasn't gunning the engine though, just kinda puttering
Old 01-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blow up all ATV's !!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:49 AM

We split time between a four wheeler and truck driving into our back stand, and it has no effect on the deer hunting. I haven't seen anymore or less animals from driving the ATV vs the truck. We definitely don't drive completely to the stand though. Usually stay 400 yds from the stand.

Quick Reply: ATV's And Deer Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.