Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Anyone hear about this??

Old 12-13-2006, 09:10 PM

Default Anyone hear about this??

I did the story in my podcast.......
The short version is that the State of Utah has banned shed antler hunting from February through April in the northern part of the state. That is ALL land, even private.
You can't walk on your own land, bend down, and pick up an antler that is laying on YOUR ground.
http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/news/06-12/board.php
Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone hear about this??

I didnt hear of this case specifically, but can understand why they're doing it. Ive seen videos of people finding large herds of elk and deer and literally chasing them to the point where they are full out running. my guess is that these guys are unethical shed hunters, and when the deer/elk are running, those with antlers lose them in an easily accessable area. This causes great stress on the herd and could cause increased winter kill. I would guess this would be hard to enforce, but more power to them.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang Schobs! good thinking,I would have never looked at it that way.Makes sence to me.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea the a$$clowns chase them around on snow machines.They should be shot.
They chase the elk to get the horns so somepindic in Asia can get their dic to work. Great idea huh.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also I should point out that shed antlers do play a role in nutrient cycling inseveral ecosystems. They are a good if not important source of minerals (among other nutrients) for small mammals.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think its silly -

If this is really whats happening - Why not enforce animal harrasment laws already on the books? It might be more that people are making money off selling antlers via ebay, crafts etc.

Its my understanding the use of antlers as an aphrodisiac in Asia is centered around velvet antlers - and not shed antlers.

I think this is the law in Pennsylvania as well - and has been for a while.

Stupid law if you ask me.

FH
Old 12-30-2006, 02:10 PM

so its illegal to go out and chase wild animals around in the woods? lol man im glad i live in va and not in utah, but seriouslly people chase after the animals in hopes they drop their sheds close by? thats pretty crazy, never heard of anything like that
Old 01-08-2007, 03:26 PM

What a bunch of idiots. They should be shot for chasing them around for their sheds.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bad law. If chasing elk is the problem, outlaw chasing them or enforce the laws already in the books. Don't punish everyone for the sins of a few.