Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Without a high fence!

Old 12-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Without a high fence!

ORIGINAL: jhalfhill

furgitter,

hey man there's no need for a remark like that. just because you've had bad experiences with people who do deer drives doesn't mean that everyone acts that way. go post your theory about people who drive deer on the Deer Hunting forum and you will not have too many fans there for sure.

When I do drives, we usually only shoot at mature does if we need the meat, or nice bucks. 90% of the deer that run past never even get shot at. In fact, the last drive we did was in archery season, and my cousin arrowed a 110lb doe with a longbow. What do you know, we sometimes use "sticks bows" too. Don't let a couple of bad people influence your opinion and a make you decide that everyone acts that way because they don't
I'm confused are you b1tching me out or the other guy. Because I'm not saying that everybody does drives the way the people next to me do. Sorry if I offended you.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Jhalfhill ,You do deer drives during archery that is so unethical shooting at a moving target w/ a bow. I don't understand the logic behind that, odds are slim at best that a shot to the vitals will occur Unless your Byron Ferguson and can hit an f-14 in flight. I will stand by my statement unethical. I don't have a problem with deer drives I don't like them but who am I to tell somebody how to hunt if its legal running shots are not good shots they may drop some deer but alot of times just wound. Isn't archery supposed to be serene and peaceful anyway for that matter so is gun hunting thats why they call it hunting and not killing. Deer drives are not peaceful they disrupt the natural movement of deer and not to mention many times these guys don't give two sh***ts about private property, not all some. Thats just my 2 cents and thats why this is a forum so we can interact and present our thoughts hunt as you see fit Jhalfhill I guess thats what makes us unique if we all agreeed on everything the world would be a pretty dull place
Old 12-14-2006, 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: travisville

I'm confused are you b1tching me out or the other guy. Because I'm not saying that everybody does drives the way the people next to me do. Sorry if I offended you.
i'm not b1tching anyone out. i just wanted to let you guys know how i drive deer and that i do it ethically
Old 12-15-2006, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep your driving on private land where you dont screw everyone else then.I know there is no law against public drives but if you realy give a damn about anyone beside yourself,keep the drives out of public land.Forget all the wounded deer,Im sick of seeing big giant crews on public land.Im tired of hearing about them on my land.I post my opinion about drives on all the headers,and yea there are alot who disagree.Not to wish anything bad on anyone,but I think Wi. had at least 2 fatal shootings this 9 day seasion.All i can do is say that you should know better.Lots of guys take there kids into this situation.That aint right at all.The last thing i want to do is burry one of my children,over a deer!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:14 PM

Shooting someone has to do with responsibility as a hunter, not doing deer drives. A responsible hunter is not going to take chances. You're taught to be aware of your surroundings and shoot into where you have a backstop.

I'm not going to lie, I shot within 10 yards of someone with a 30-06 before. Yes I pulled the trigger, but was it my fault, absolutely not. I would have felt awful I'm sure if something bad would have happened, but this individual was breaking the law and I was completely unaware of his presence. It was a really dreary day and PA laws require lots of BLAZE ORANGE to be seen at all times while in the woods. This guy was in a blind with NO ORANGE whatsoever, about 10 yards in the woods from where a nice 10 pointer stopped for a break while running from another hunter. I was on a gasline, and so was the deer. I had no idea he was there and I had been standing there for 30 minutes.

That is ignorance on his part. If you're hunting and you're fully dressed in blaze orange, your probably never going to get shot at. If you don't want shot at, you have to be a responsible hunter too. My case was not a case of mistaken identity or anything, its just the fact that he failed to make himself noticed, and then he had the nerve to b1tch me out for it.

Public ground is public ground and you can't control what goes on there. If you want to keep your children safe, go find a local farmer and ask permission to hunt. You will have less hunting pressure, and alot better of hunting grounds also. That's the only real way to avoid deer drives and hunt the way you like to hunt.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

shouldn't have to be scared when hunting public land cause a few nit wits are driving deer