Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Without a high fence!

Old 12-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Without a high fence!

Im wondering what a guy can do to keep it natural and allow deer in and out but keep outlaw bunches from rolling in with 30 guys and driving everything durring the 9 day and t zone arround here.The thaught of fences came to mind but then all you have is a game farm.Those groups are there and gone before you know it.They just mame and kill every deer that jumps.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:51 AM

Default RE: Without a high fence!

if it's your land, notify the authorities and turn them in for trespassing. a few fines will stop them from crossing property lines. if it's not your land, there's nothing you can do. if they're allowed to hunt it, they're going to hunt it and there's not really any way for you to stop them.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

I hate people who do drives! It seems like it's inhumane to me to just force a deer to some guys stand.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id outlaw drives on public land if i could.I dont care if someone wants to thin the heard in a hurry on his own land, but its not safe when you dont know who else is out there,and it is realy selfish to mess up someone elses hunting and move on to do it at the next place.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:56 PM

I don't understand you guys' theory on deer drives. Man has hunted meat for thousands of years in groups. The indians, for instance, pushed herds of buffalo to other waiting indians. I've also heard of them driving a herd to a cliff where they would all jump off and commit suicide. Does that sound humane? That's how they got their meat.

I'm not bashing, but my friends and I do deer drives every year. The funnest is in archery season because it's extra challenging. I will probably always do deer drives at some point or another each coming season.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

I didn't see the indians with any long range rifles or fancy accurate compound bows. Hunting has changed since then.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Most who don't like deer drives have never been on one. It's hard to beat the rush of adrenaline youget as the drivers get closer and closer and you were picked to beone of the standers. They're coming through the last piece of thick cover. Your hopes are dwindling but there's some relief too. You know a running shot is never too easy.You hear the branches snapping; the quite hoots of drivers keeping tabs on each other. You know if Mr. Big has waited this long to exit, he's not coming out quietly and the pressure's on to make a good, clean kill. Suddenly, one of the drivers hollers "here he comes"... and the tallfragmites 50 yards away explode, shreds of plant fiber bursting ahead of a massive rack pushed by 200 lbs. of meat, gathering steam. As he claws the wet earth you quickly anticipate a crossing shot at 40 yards in the open soybean stubble. You watch the hind quarters gather beneath the heavy shoulders, muscles rippling as he lengthens stride carrying his crown high and out in front. The old Winchester pump floats to your shoulder, as if moved by nature; no decision of your own, as it has done a thousand times ahead of waterfowl.

You get the point. I haven't been on a deer drive in years, only because I have neither the property nor the group to run them. But I've been there and can not fault those who do. On the drive above, I missed that buck.. clean 3 times.. too far in front. One of the best 10 pointers I've ever seen. That was 30 years agoand I remember that scene, down to the muscles in his hindquarters, like it was yesterday. There can't be too much wrong with things you can hold onto like that.

Good hunting.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

I know guys who do drives they have property right next to mine and it sounds like they're shooting machine guns. THey usually end up shooting about 3 fawns in the gut or the butt. I guess i've just had bad experiences with drives.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

They were probobly starving like the indians in the old days with spiers and stick bows.
ORIGINAL: travisville

I know guys who do drives they have property right next to mine and it sounds like they're shooting machine guns. THey usually end up shooting about 3 fawns in the gut or the butt. I guess i've just had bad experiences with drives.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:52 PM

furgitter,

hey man there's no need for a remark like that. just because you've had bad experiences with people who do deer drives doesn't mean that everyone acts that way. go post your theory about people who drive deer on the Deer Hunting forum and you will not have too many fans there for sure.

When I do drives, we usually only shoot at mature does if we need the meat, or nice bucks. 90% of the deer that run past never even get shot at. In fact, the last drive we did was in archery season, and my cousin arrowed a 110lb doe with a longbow. What do you know, we sometimes use "sticks bows" too. Don't let a couple of bad people influence your opinion and a make you decide that everyone acts that way because they don't

Quick Reply: Without a high fence!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.