Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Jobs in the wildlife management fields >

Jobs in the wildlife management fields

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Jobs in the wildlife management fields

Old 12-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Jobs in the wildlife management fields

any tips on how i can outcompete, like internships or minors that would give me an edge?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a degree in wildlife management and I work as an agent for the feds and the state. PM me and I'll give you as much info as I have.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Experience. Get your foot in every door possible. Fire training, internships, minors, double-majors, masters, doctorate...the best thing you can do is to identify the job you want right now and see what things that the job requires first of all...then start working on all of the things that the employer 'wishes' that the person that they hire could do.

What I 'wish' for as an employer is to have someone that not only has a degree and background in forestry and wildlife management, but someone that is well-versed in business management, herbicide application, GIS/GPS, can speak spanish fluently, personable, motivating to others, professional and willing to do just about anything to be successful....of course there are are ton of other things as well, but most applicants drop off way before all of those 'wishes' are met.

ORIGINAL: Schobs

any tips on how i can outcompete, like internships or minors that would give me an edge?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:47 PM

I have been a wildlife biologist for 7 years with our state government. My main function is to educate landowners, hunters, andhunting clubs on various landmanagement practices. I also coordinate youth fishing clinics, environmental teacher workshops, and perform seminars and radio programson recreational pond management, supplemental food plot management, game management, and native vegetation management. I also take part from time to time in research with field biologists, collecting and trapping deer, dove, turkey, and waterfowl for banding/tagging/general analysis. I have a B.S. degree in Biology and Environmental education with a minor in chemistry, but have also attended numerous wildlifemanagement workshops and land management seminars. I absolutely love what I do for a living BUT.......if you choose this path (state government).....make sure you can pick a good wife who either has money, or is going to make it (I chose wisely). The pay is a joke for the degree that's required to apply formy position.

I too have thought of working as a consultant, especially since there is no one that offers the service down here. If there was a company that I could work for locally, I might consider a change.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Where are you located?

ORIGINAL: Roseaukaine

I have been a wildlife biologist for 7 years with our state government. My main function is to educate landowners, hunters, andhunting clubs on various landmanagement practices. I also coordinate youth fishing clinics, environmental teacher workshops, and perform seminars and radio programson recreational pond management, supplemental food plot management, game management, and native vegetation management. I also take part from time to time in research with field biologists, collecting and trapping deer, dove, turkey, and waterfowl for banding/tagging/general analysis. I have a B.S. degree in Biology and Environmental education with a minor in chemistry, but have also attended numerous wildlifemanagement workshops and land management seminars. I absolutely love what I do for a living BUT.......if you choose this path (state government).....make sure you can pick a good wife who either has money, or is going to make it (I chose wisely). The pay is a joke for the degree that's required to apply formy position.

I too have thought of working as a consultant, especially since there is no one that offers the service down here. If there was a company that I could work for locally, I might consider a change.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:38 PM

USWFC

Sent you a PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Got it...and responded

ORIGINAL: Roseaukaine

USWFC

Sent you a PM.