Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Jobs in the wildlife management fields >

Jobs in the wildlife management fields

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Jobs in the wildlife management fields

Old 12-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Jobs in the wildlife management fields

I'm currently a senior in high school and will be attending the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point this coming fall where majors and minors include such fields as captive wildlife, conservation biology, environmental studies, foresty, land use planning, natural resources, paper science, resource management, and wildlife ecology. I havent yet narrowed it down, but have all but commited to doing something in that line of work. I was hoping some of the folks who visit this forum could help me out with some ideas as to what sort of jobswould available after college with an education in these areas. money isnt really a huge factor, i just want to enjoy doing what im doing. I know this might sound a little innocent or naiive, and it may or may not work out, but for those of youwho maybe went to school for things like this or are in school for things like this or have kids in school for things like this, what kind of jobs are you/they in now? any help is really appreciated.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Jobs in the wildlife management fields

I interned a couple of years with the USDA-NRCS, and that was probably the greatest work experience I've ever had. Although most of their jobs aren't wildlife specific, many employees still do a good bit of work involving wildlife management, whether it be helping landowners apply for and recieve federal funding for programs such as EQIP or WHIP, or just simply giving technical assistance to landowners who are wanting to improve the quality of wildlife habitat on their land. Definitely something to look into, and it paid for much of my undergraduate work. My only regret was that I didn't apply sooner.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:43 PM

I have a B.S. in Geography with a concentration in Environmental Studies and a A.A.S. in Environmental Management. I am currently working through a grant with the EPA protecting drinking water sources. I really love my job, but it requires lots of travel and it isa one year contract. I would suggest you look into GIS and/or Land Use Planning and see if it interests you. The one regret I had was not taking any GIS related courses in school. Good Luck to you!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:10 PM

During the summer, I work for a guy who has his master's in wildlife and fisheries biology management. I think he may also hold some sort of degree in rangeland management/watershed ecology. His business manages the wildlife and fish on a large ranch, contracts out to coalbed-methane and oil companies to do surveys of threatened species on drilling areas(raptors, sage grouse, mountain plovers, swift foxes, etc), contracts out to coalbed-methane companies to spray noxious weeds on all developed areas (well pads, roads, pipeling right-of-ways), and sprays noxious weeds for multiple ranches.

I spoke with one of the main professors for the University of Wyoming's wildlife and fisheries biology management program about the job outlook in his field of work last month, and his response was something to the effect that job growth was no better than average, but it wasn't expected to fall any in the future. He said that several of the government agencies that hire wildlife biologists are expressing interest in many of the graduates of Wyoming's program. So if you get a degree in that field, finding a job should not be a problem.

One thing the professor did say is that if you go into this field of work, don't expect to make much money. And don't expect to do much hunting yourself. He did say the work is a lot of fun.

Until this past semester, I thought I wanted to major in Wildlife and Fisheries Biology Management or Rangeland Management/Watershed Ecology because I have a real passion for the outdoors and all the recreational opportunities that the outdoors have to offer. But then I found a different major that interested me just as much, and the job outlook in this field is much more promising. It'll even allow me to work outside. I can hunt and fish on the weekends.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

thanks wyo, just curious, what other major interested you. I realize money isnt really there, and job outlook is marginal, but id rather make just enough to get by and enjoy what im doing than make 4X what i need to get by and work in a cubicle all day long. I was hoping to perhaps get a job w/ a private forestry company after college, that way i'd be able to at least hunt a little bit because i assume those guys aren't normally out marking/cutting trees during the gun season. but i may be wrong. Im tryin to stay away from the DNR for the simple reason that even the foresters get deputized during the gun season here in WI because of the lack of CO's. Ive got a couple years to figure out what im gonna do, but cant see myself doing anything other than working with mother nature.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:14 AM

I declared Civil Engineering with an emphasis on surveying. I decided math interests me more than the sciences. My goal is to be both a licensed engineer and a licensed land surveyor. That way, I can work outside and work with numbers instead of organisms. It was an extremely hard decision- the University of Wyoming has an excellent Wildlife and Fisheries Biology Management program, and I really enjoy the wildlife biology work I do now. I can honestly say that I liked the idea of being a wildlife biologist almost as much as i liked the idea of being a surveyor/engineer, because like you, I don't care how much I make as long as I have fun at my job. But as I said, I decided I like math more than the sciences. What really solidified my choice is the fact that the average age of licensed surveyors is 62 or 63, there is already a shortage of surveyors, civil engineers are in high demand, nearly every city that has over 8,000 people has an engineering firm (meaning I can live virtually anywhere I want), and by the time I get my license, it will be extremely easy for me to start my own business. And while surveying is not offered as a degree here, UW has one of the top surveying programs in the nation (its an outreach program).

I'm sure you'll love forestry, though. My friend's dad is a regional forester here in WY, and chances are pretty good that he will soon become the head state forester. He loves his job. Especially during the summer when he helps supervise the fighting of forest fires. He's one of the guys who gets to fly above the fires in a helicopter to see what needs to be done to contain them. He likes the other aspects of his job as well.

As far as job outlook goes, you can greatly improve the number of jobs available to you by doing well in school.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 PM

I am graduating in the spring of 07 with a degree in wildlife biology from Fort Hays State University in western KS. I have had the pleasure of working at the Milford Fish Hatchery for 2 summers as temporary helpalong withnumerous field trips for school. All experiences have been awesome. I have worked my tail off but loved every minute of it. When you pick your school and degree I suggest making sure that there are very field oriented, this way you get to be outside and have lots of hands on experience.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

You want work in Wisconsin? call 1800 714-8727 Ill fix ya right up!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:34 PM

I got a BS in wildlife biology 10 years ago. As a student I worked for the state wildlife department, forestry service and campus pest control. I loved my part time jobs. When I graduated I was faced with working temporary positions for low wages. The work was fun, but I wasn't willing to re-locate all over for years on end to work 6 month jobs, in hopes of landing a full time positon. I decided to take an entry level position for a big company as a biological lab technician. 8 years later I am a research biologist running a laboratory. The work isn't as fun as the direct wildlife field work, but it's not bad either (and the pay is much better). If you decide to stick with that field, my advice would be to be flexible in your career choice. Not many guys are lucky enough to manage whitetail on hunting ranches. Concerning the $$, I know it's not everything, but it is something. I still have the opportunity to hunt and fish about as much as I want (God bless my wife) and I am saving for right piece of property to come up for sale so I can have my own hunting spot. I doubt I'd be able to save for this if I was pulling $15/hour working for the state. Just something to consider. By the way if I had to do it over again, I may have just stayed in the engineering department at school.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

There are jobs that pay well, you just have to find them...and outcompete the others for them.

Quick Reply: Jobs in the wildlife management fields

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.