Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Perennial Food Plots

Old 12-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Perennial Food Plots

Hey guys, thanks for the responses so far with the recommendations. I was wondering if there are any quality food plots, made by any of the companies like Tecomate, Mossy Oak, Biologic, etc. that are completely perennial? I mean, is there one that I could disc the ground and brodcast, and drag the plot this coming spring/summer and will be good for a few years? Thats really what I am looking for, something I don't need to continually re-do every year. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:17 PM

Default RE: Perennial Food Plots

I'm sure there are alot of seed companies that offer perrenials. We are going to use biologic premium perrenial....It does have some annuals in it but there are brassicas(very leafy). Other than that it has red and white clover as well as chicory...they recomend throughing out some more of the brassica seed every spring but other than that it lasts 3-5 years. Alfalfa is also a good perrenial plant. Again other seed companies will probably offer something similar that will work as well.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks KSbowman!
I read about the Premium Perennial by Biologic and also read that they recommended planting some other stuff with it each year, which must have been mostly brassica seed. There are different types of products at the local wal-marts, and a Big R store and Dicks, etc. But I highly doubt there is anyone there that actually knows much about them.

So basically with this Premium Perennial, it is possible to just brodcast some other seeds out, like brassica, or maybe some other annual food plot mix and it should grow with the Premium Perennial? Either way, thanks again.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

even with a good perennial plot - you'll need to mow at least 2x per year (or 3 or 4 times if weeds become a problem).

Most brassicas are 1 year plot - though some may come back in the second year. The clovers in the plot will come back stronger after the brassicas are thinned and gone.

You can mix other seeds - but keep in mind - that over seeding with inferior seeds only takes the place of the better seeds/plants. Its fine to experiment with mixes - but I suggest going with a pure clover (or clover mix) on the main plot. Keep in mind that not all plots respond well to mowing - clover does. (eg don't mix peas with clover).

FH
Old 12-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

even with a good perennial plot - you'll need to mow at least 2x per year (or 3 or 4 times if weeds become a problem).

Most brassicas are 1 year plot - though some may come back in the second year. The clovers in the plot will come back stronger after the brassicas are thinned and gone.

You can mix other seeds - but keep in mind - that over seeding with inferior seeds only takes the place of the better seeds/plants. Its fine to experiment with mixes - but I suggest going with a pure clover (or clover mix) on the main plot. Keep in mind that not all plots respond well to mowing - clover does. (eg don't mix peas with clover).

FH
While that makes perfect sense to me, mowing a food plot here in Illinois makes it illegal. Don't really know why, but it says something about that you cannot "manipulate" and then it says by "mowing, etc"

So what does that mean, maybe I can weed whack them!!! Just joking of course, but does that mean with a perennial, I will have to mow them or at least disc them down to get a good growth in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th plus years??

Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:12 AM

If you don't mow them they will loose their vigor, and weeds will overcome them. It sounds like someone had their head in the wrong place when they passed that law! It should be changed. If that were the case then I would go with a good annual; because, you will probably have to plant every other year anyway.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have you considered going native?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:55 PM

There are many proven products from the Major seed companies, You stated that you were looking at walmarts Bio Logic, You will notice two things about it there, One its cheaper than at your regular stores, and it is a different type of seed in it than you would find other stores in the same bag...To keep in Walmarts pricing windows, other cheaper seed has been found for the mixes....
As for what to plant for perenials, It depends on you soil and light conditions...In food Plots you are farming, instead of bushels per acre, you want the highest protein per acre...Only a soil test can show what your soil is lacking to get these protein vaules out of your plots..( very important process in food plots !!!!!!!!!!! )
I personally like Monster Mix, a clover and chicory mix, The chicory takes the Nitrogen that the clover produces out of the soil, Weeds thrive on nitrogen, Chicory also helps hold moisture in the soil collecting the morning Dew and finally it has a very high attraction value after the first frost, Along being a very good protein source year round...It grows very well in poor soils and stands up to drought well....
I do not know where you got the Information that you can not cut food plots in ILL. I have clients and services in your state and have never seen or heard of that law....
Hope this helps a bit
Old 12-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think that's the law in Illinois. I found the reference to "manipulated":

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/systems/Digest/Digest.pdf

"it is unlawful to make available food, salt, mineral blocks,or other products for ingestion by wild deer or other wildlifein areas where deer are present - EXCEPT:

(there are many exceptions - here's a couple)

* Standing crops planted and left standing as food plots for wildlife *

* Standing, flooded or manipulated natural vegetaion,or food/seed deposited by natural vegetaion.

I don't see any reference to mowing - I'm pretty sure you can mow your food plots.

FH
Old 12-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the help farm hunter, especially with it not being your own state and all...However, I asked in the Midwest forum if hunting over food plots was legal and Illinois and this was one of the response:

I emailed the DNR a while back with this question.

It is legal to hunt over a food plot as long as it is not manipulated (like mowing).

I email the DNR with qestions every now and then. This email addy goes to the law enforcement office. [email protected]

EDIT: Found the email.

Yes it is legal. A food plot that has not been manipulated (mowed,
etc.) is not considered to be bait.

Officer Jason Sherman

>>> "XXXXXXXX" <XXXXXXXXXXX> 02/10/06 6:45 PM >>>
Is it legal to hunt over a food plot planted to help wildlife?

I don't really get that law, but that is what the officer told this poster. Here is the thread:
http://www.huntingnet.com//forum/tm.aspx?m=1842229

Quick Reply: Perennial Food Plots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.