Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot in farm country?

Old 09-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default food plot in farm country?

I am ready to plant wheat as a food plot for this winter. Their doesn't appear to be any winter wheat real close to me so I am hoping that once the milo & beans are harvested that the deer will hone in on my wheat. Any suggestions as to what it will take to make it real attractive to the deer? How much of what type fertilizer and when should I apply it?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: food plot in farm country?

Forgot to ask about preping ground after discing. I have seen a 3 point attachment @ Tractor Supply that is called a landscape rake. Basically looks like a spring tooth to me. Would it be worth the investment to purchase one of these to run over my food plot before planting? How important is it to do any additional prep ahead of planting? How deep should I be planting wheat?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

I just spread my wheat out over freshly turned over soil after putting in a lake around a dam and some areas of fill from the excavation of the lake. We added lime and fertilizer, with ample rain, it hasgrown real nice.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I apply 50 pounds of wheat per acre and 150 pounds of triple 19...I disc...Broadcast wheat and fertilizer and lightly disc again...Cover wheat about 1/2 an inch...If this is land that is farmed, no need for lime, if not apply 4-500 pounds of lime when you fertilize.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I planted a small plot of wheat last year, but also mixed in oats and rye. This way the pressure was taken off the wheat early with the oats. The rye also had some time to grown, but then when it died off when it gets cold, the wheat is still going strong.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Planting depth is determined by the seed, and most seeds are best planted no deeper than 4x the diameter of the seed.

I'd save my money on the rake and stick with a disk and a chisel for tillage implements.

Wheat doesn't require much tillage to grow, but doing some tillage ahead of time can certainly help.