Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Imperial Whitetail "Winter Greens" Report >

Imperial Whitetail "Winter Greens" Report

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Imperial Whitetail "Winter Greens" Report

Old 09-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Imperial Whitetail "Winter Greens" Report

Back in July, I posted that we were going to plant a Brassica Fall Plot - and I posted a couple pics of the ground Prep.For those that are considering a plot like this next year - you might find this report interesting. Some of this is in my blog too - and will stay there if you ever want to look back at it. This is our first serious attempt at a Fall Planted Brassica Plot

The haywas mowed off in Mid June - then Sprayed with a heavy dose of Roundup over the July 4th Weekend. Its just under an acre plot.

2 weeks after spray:

The ground was disked up and planted on 7-30. We planted 1 bag of Winter Greens and 1 bag of Imperial Whitetail Clover. The seed was mixed evenly and broadcast with almost 200 lbs of 15-15-15 fertilizer. Then the plot was rolled with a double roller cultipacker.

It took about 2 weeks for the plot to really start to pop:

8-12

8-18

In the last 2 weeks of August we had really good rains - and the plot really started to grow.

The clovers are starting to get well established under the brassica canopy - and should be ready to dominate next year.The grasses in the plot are a bit of a disappointment - and to do it again - I might have prepped the plot 2 weeks earlier - then let it lay 2 weeks and spray again before planting - we'll see how bad the grasses come back next spring.

True as advertised - nothing is feeding on it now. It will be interesting to see if the deer wade through the brassicas to get the young clovers before winter.

I'll post progress as deer season approaches. This is a Kill Plot - and we hope to take a couple deer off the plot. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures of deer in the plot from my stand.

FH

Old 09-08-2006, 05:52 AM

Default RE: Imperial Whitetail "Winter Greens" Report

Thanks for the update. I didn't get myseeds down until 8/18, so a little slower start. Going up this weekend to spray some of the grass patches and see how wellthey aredoing.

Nice looking plots farmhunter.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:28 AM

Nice plot and pictures. Last year the deer walked through my Brassica plot whenthe weatherwas warm and barely touched it, when it turned cold they hit it heavy. It should be the same in your plot.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Great job on the plot, Very informitive post. keep us updated. I think your clover plot will have some grass next year that you can control with spraying & mowing. Next year , in early spring I would frost seed with clover to get rid of bare spots & mow the clover down when it get to be 12".

I think I mowed my main clover plot like 5 times from spring to Aug. 15th. & each time I did the plot became ...thicker & thicker..."
Old 09-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

The plot looks great!!!!!! I put in a few plots this spring that were my first time trying, Also put in some winter stuff as well! I have learned alot form your posts Farm, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-10-2006, 04:59 PM

looks good. thanks for sharing
Old 09-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Man i just planted my Biologic Green patch plus and i hope it turns out to look that good.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

FH, great post. Really enjoyed the comments on the Winter Greens you planted.

One question. I planted Winter Greens in Mo about 4 weeks ago and it coming on like gangbusters. I read on the back of the bag that a second application of fertilizer (34-0-0) is recommended. Did you add that to your planting and if not do you think I need the additional nitrogen.

The planting looks so good, I don't want to mess it up but if it can do better with more nitrogen I want to add it.

Thanks

POP
Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Pop -

I read the same thing - but my plot was high in residual N - so I do not plan on adding more.

The Kale in my plot is now about knee high as of Sept 20 - I did not expect this much growth - so I'm happy with the results, and then some.

FH
Old 09-22-2006, 05:55 AM

farm hunter, the plot is coming in really nice. As stated before, I planted mine on 8/18, about 3 weeks after yours. This past weekend while I was up, the Brassica was about 4" high. Seems a little slow, but this is also my first plot and the soil was not the best @ 5.7 pH. I did put down 3 tons of lime & fert at time of seeding, so it will take time for the lime to kick in. I will be spreading Urea tomorrow in hopes of giving the Brassica a boost. Here's a pic from last weekend.

Quick Reply: Imperial Whitetail "Winter Greens" Report

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.