Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

planted food & may have messed up

Old 09-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default planted food & may have messed up

i planted a white tail clover plot this past weekend but didn't get the seed covered and its not supposed to rain any in the next few days do you think i messed up and will have to redo it or what. i disc the ground alot and then spread some fertilize and then spread the seed but i did not have a cultipacker and was affraid of dragging anything else because of getting the seed to deep but it did rain a little about an hour after i got done but it was only a light rain for about 10 or 15 min. what do you guys think.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:50 PM

Default RE: planted food & may have messed up

You will be fine. It will rain enough eventually to set the seed and begin germination. Just check it periodically.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its not yet rained - you still have time to go drive your truck back an forth over the plot repeatedly, before germination.

What really makes a clover plot germinate with a high percentage is a compacted seed bed and excellent soil/seed contact.

If the seed is loosley laying on top of soil - much of itis likey to germinate - then die off in the next day or two without adequete rains.

Sure some will come - but you should press it into the soil (compact the soil) as best you can for best results.

FH
Old 09-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

If you have a four wheeler drive it back and forth across your plot to pack the seed down..