Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

SoluCal question

Old 08-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default SoluCal question

I have a question about when I should put out my SoluCal on my plot. For those who don't know what SoluCal is its a lime replacement that works faster from what I'm told by the local coop. I know I need to "lime it" ASAP but my specific question is should I put it out right before rain or wait until the rain has passed. I live in central North Carolina and there is a 50% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow and then Tropical Storm Ernesto should be coming through over this weekend if it holds its course. I can go right after work today and spread it out or I can wait and do it when the rain clears out this weekend. One of my good buddies is down at the hunting club disking up my plot for me right now. It is a small area(15' wide by 125 yards long in middle of a 7 year old pine plantation). Just wondering what you guys thought.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: SoluCal question

I'd put it out ASAP, no need to wait. I've never heard of the product, but I see no reason to wait.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:03 PM

The only way to hurt the plants I've heard is to apply fertilizer when they are wet - it burns them. So you should be fine if its only a Lime product.

What is Solucal? - never heard of it either
Old 08-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Solucal sounds like a "golden parachute" to me -

I don't no much about it - but really, $14.95 doesn't get you much - not when it comes to adjusting PH on acres of soil.

Don't fall for it.

FH

Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

For those who have never heard or tried Solu-Cal here is the link to there website. http://solu-cal.com/

farm hunter: this is my first attempt at a food plot and thought i would give the solu-cal a try based on the whitetail institutes opinion, i'll let everyone know how the plot turns out; its only 15' wide by 125 yards long and in the middle of a pine plantation; wish me luck; if it doesn't work i'll definitely lime it heavy in november and february so i can try a spring plot
Old 08-31-2006, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

After only a quick look at the web site, it seems to be a high priced product that does the same thing as cheap lime.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know - I have some small plots that could benefit from a product like this, if it really works.

FH