Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Poison Ivy...!!!!!

Old 08-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Poison Ivy...!!!!!

hello everyone I am wondering how I kill the Poison Ivy without scaring the deer away. I have quite a bit around where my best stand location is...
Old 08-09-2006, 05:50 PM

Default RE: Poison Ivy...!!!!!

I'm no expert on this, but I have heard that you don't want to burn it off because you could end up with serious lung damage from breathing the fumes. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

some generic 41% glyphosate mixed at a 3% solution along with some 2,4-d LV amine mixed at 2% (both per gallon) should knock the snot out of it if you spot spray. if you have alot of grasses that you want to keep (which i doubt) then just use the 2,4-d.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:05 PM

If the vines are big (1"+)and climbing into the canopy, then just cut the vine at the base and apply cut-stump treatment of non-diluted 41% glyphosate immediately to the stump. If they are new, young sprouts or vines, then follow psandu's advice. If you can get some Roundup Advance Brush Killer (glyphosate+triclopyr) from wal-mart and follow the label -- that will do the trick as well.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

If legal in your state, you might check the labels of productscontaining triclopyr, tebuthiuron, or hexazinone. Triclopyr would be your best bet if you have beneficial plants near the treatment area, as the other two are VERY broad spectrum and will kill sterilize the treatment area. Not a problem if it is grass, but it is hard on trees.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

This is a topically applied foliar spray that won't hurt surrounding plants:

Weed-Aside weed killer

The salts in it dessicate the leaves suppressing growth . For a more permanent solution you'll have to either catch the ivy earlier in the year and apply a herbicide designed for vining plants or remove the vines manually .