Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Selling timber....how much can I get? >

Selling timber....how much can I get?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Selling timber....how much can I get?

Old 08-22-2007, 03:24 AM

Default RE: Selling timber....how much can I get?

I have 150 acres..loaded with poplars and oaks..I went through the woods and marked each tree i wanted them to take with blaze orange paint..They did leave the stumps and limbs but poplars are mostly tree anyway so it wasnt that bad..Most of these loggers will do a fair job on peoples land but some dont care..I would ask for refrences and ask around before getting it cut to see if anyone has ever heard about them..Now in my situation it wasnt done by the acre it was by the truckload..I think I got about $1500.00 per load..If you dont want a complete mess on your land do it by the tree..If you want it all gone then go ahead and do it by the acre..
Old 08-24-2007, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Selling timber....how much can I get?

I just had mine logged. YOu can do it two ways call the logger yourself or get a forester. I use a forester. They charge 6% if it is over 100,000 he will charge 5%. He will take only mature trees. He comes out marks them and then sends a sheet with all the info about the trees to the loggers. They come out and look and put in sealed bids. I then can choose the bid I want. He invites only quality loggers who wont litter or tear up the place. I had a couple request I wanted some tree tops drug out in the field so I could cut them up for fire wood and I did not want them to land any trees in my fields. They did both. He took 50 trees. Lots of huge Oaks. The bases on some of them were 4 feet across. I had some Walnut and cherry and he took some Popluar to make pallets out of. I got 27,000 out of the trees after the forester took his cut.
Funny thing is I had some logger stop by before all of this and asked if he could log it. I said go back and tell me what you think they are worth. He came back and said he would give me 13,000 to 15,000 for the trees. Someone was trying to make some money.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:41 AM
Spike

Default Looking for loggers in SW Va Do you know of any?

I live in SW Va and am looking to clear 8_10 acres of heavily wooded lot..Do you know of any small companies interested. C.
Originally Posted by HEAD0001
If you know nothing about selling timber then your most important asset needs to be information. Remember the following facts-they will serve you well.
1. Broker's get kickbacks from loggers-it is that simple. You should understand what that means.
2. When you get paid in advance of the cutting- a good rule of thumb is your check is 1/2 the value of the timber. Think about it-who is going to pay top dollar up front??? The logs have to be on the ground to be graded.
3. Depending on the type of pulp you have-it should bring $4-$8 a ton, depending on species(density of wood).
4. I always sell my logs to an independent buyer who grades your logs on the landing.
5. Go to the nearest forestry school and pay a professor or student to cruise your timber, and tell you what you have!!! Do not trust anyone who can have a dog in the hunt. This includes state foresters!!! Do you really think they care???
6. Timber is down right now-unless you have grade Cherry. You could pay a guy with a dozer and cut 10,000 BF of Cherry and your share should be $5-$10 thousand. Do you have any good cherry?? A student or professor will tell you. You can bet a buyer or broker willl not tell you!!!
7.I have sold veneer Cherry for as much as $7 a board foot.

I buy and sell tracts of land. I live in rural WV. I buy the land, sell the timber, then sell the land. There are plenty of guys who will cut small tracts of land, as long as you have good access, and not alot of water on the property.

Spend some time and acquire as much information as possible. Spend money to acquire this information. Tom.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

This thread is ten years old MissyAnderson and the person you're asking the question hasn't logged on here in years, so you'll not get an answer from him, but maybe from another member.