Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Whitetail Institute Secret Spot

Old 07-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Whitetail Institute Secret Spot

I need something fast-germinating though and it sounds like it has a good blend to it, though I suppose I don't really know compared to others. As far as the lime application, I'm just going by what the guy who is renting the Plotmaster out told me he has done and had success with. Maybe he just had great soil to begin with, but I don't know. I'm willing to at least try.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Illini_Sportsman

I need something fast-germinating though and it sounds like it has a good blend to it, though I suppose I don't really know compared to others. As far as the lime application, I'm just going by what the guy who is renting the Plotmaster out told me he has done and had success with. Maybe he just had great soil to begin with, but I don't know. I'm willing to at least try.
Just understand liming takes 4-6 months on average to work into the system.

What's your soil test say?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not going to get a soil test done because in the area where I live, we have a lot of clay and it's just going to tell me to add fertilizer and lime anyway.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not going to get a soil test done because in the area where I live, we have a lot of clay and it's just going to tell me to add fertilizer and lime anyway.
Wow, simply wow. Seriously, it's 10 bucks, and it takes the guesswork out of it. Why waste money on seed, fert, and lime? A 1/4 acre plot could need as much as 0 lbs. up to1,500lbs of lime, and 0-200lbs of various fertilizers. Are you THAT good at guessing for a $10 sample? Not to mention, it'll let you know what micro nutrients are lacking, etc.

A soil sample does WAY more than simply telling you to add lime and fertilizer...read up on it.

Don't forget, that secret spot has a bunch of clovers....LEGUMES.....you do know that they generate their own source of Nitrogen...right? Your soil could be set up for 0-20-20 at a specified rate per acre, and applying an over-needed amount of 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 could burn up the clover... or you may not need K, or P, or a rate in between...so many possibilities.

A soil test will give you those kinds of answers...for $10. I find it amusing that you are going through the effort of renting a plotmaster, applying lime and fertilizer, with Secret Spot of all things, and not doing a soil sample. Might as well save you sweat,just put the money you've spent into the toilet, and flush it.

I'm not saying this to be rude, because I was in your place years ago. I learned through trial and error before books like the Dougherty's, articles, and tv shows brought attention to the foreground.

If you really are putting that much $ into renting a plotmaster, buying seed and fertilizer, pay the darned $10 fora soil sample, and do it right. You'll be so much happier come October/November.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Phade Wow, simply wow. A soil sample does WAY more than simply telling you to add lime and fertilizer...read up on it.

A soil test will give you those kinds of answers...for $10. I find it amusing that you are going through the effort of renting a plotmaster, applying lime and fertilizer, with Secret Spot of all things, and not doing a soil sample. Might as well save you sweat,just put the money you've spent into the toilet, and flush it.
Ok, to be honest with you, SO many people have told me they've had success with the exactmethod I've explained of just laying lime and fertilizer and planting the seed shortly thereafter. I'm not saying you're wrong, but are you going to listen to one person saying one thing or a bunch of other people all saying the same thing? I appreciate the information you've given me up to this point, by after these last remarks, I'm going to have to say good day to you sir.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Phade Wow, simply wow. A soil sample does WAY more than simply telling you to add lime and fertilizer...read up on it.

Ok, to be honest with you, SO many people have told me they've had success with the exactmethod I've explained of just laying lime and fertilizer and planting the seed shortly thereafter. I'm not saying you're wrong, but are you going to listen to one person saying one thing or a bunch of other people all saying the same thing? I appreciate the information you've given me up to this point, by after these last remarks, I'm going to have to say good day to you sir.
Remember, I'm trying to help you, and I offered my words in honest support of your effort. My last remarks were neither rude nor downplaying your choice beyond an attempt to help you understand the benefit of a soil test, and to avoid you the learning curve pre-1995. I hope you did not misconstrue my words, I was simply offering a better ticket to ride, so to speak.

And just to let you know, this "one" person knows a thing or two about food plots, and hunting in general.I'm a humble pie kind of person, but I don't want you to get the idea I was just some bum off the street with no clue on habitat management. Chances are, you've read an article or two of mine. Best of luck to you, bro.

PS. I like how you quoted my post...sort of like a politician. You quoted me up to (but not including)the line where I specify..."I'm not saying this to be rude...because....(paraphrase) I'm trying to help you realize a soil test is a much needed part of establishing a food plot". Good stuff.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Might as well take my money and flush it. If that's not rude, I don't know what you deal with on a day-to-day basis...
Old 07-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

Might as well take my money and flush it. If that's not rude, I don't know what you deal with on a day-to-day basis...
Your missing the point....what's the very next line of that post say? "I'm not trying to be rude..."

I give up. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Spike

Sorry boys,been gone for a couple weeks.

Plant the damn stuff and quit fussin'. SecretSpot did great for me but let us know how it does for you.

Following (taking) directions is something that most people start out to do but they end up cutting corners anyway. I think the SSplanting takes the "cutting corners" into account.

Otis