Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 **Updated** on 12/10 - My PA Food Plot Pics >

**Updated** on 12/10 - My PA Food Plot Pics

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

**Updated** on 12/10 - My PA Food Plot Pics

Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My PA Food Plot Pics - 7/21 -

ORIGINAL: jasonshawn2005

What does the lime do for a food plot.
It balances out the PH levels. It is pretty critical to do and one of the most important parts of this process.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

jason,
The necessity of lime is based on the current Ph levels of the soil. Take a soil sample and have it tested. From those results you can then determine, or ask a farmer or someone here, what you need to do in order to properly prep your soil for planting.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

I just took a bunch of soil samples from my plots. We had some great weather for the entire winter so far here in Upstate NY. here is the site where I am sending my samples. http://www.mossyoakbiologic.com/pdf/soilsample.pdf

It also gives pretty good instructions on how to take the samples. I was able to get out and brush hog some hedgerows this past weekend. I was starting to get a lot of encroachment into my plots from buck thorn and sumac, as well as some smaller maples. this was cutting out some daylight, so i 'hogged them back. I also staked and caggd the apple trees I planted last year, as well as maked them with ample surveyors tape to locate them if the brush should get thick this summer. I can't wait to seewhat the soil samples tell me. I want to lime with snow on the ground this winter to give the lime time to get into the soil.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:58 PM

Thanks guys
Old 01-10-2007, 11:22 AM

Rick, what type of plants are those turnips in your last picture from 12/10? Are they a Mossy Oak brand or generic? I planted a generic Agway brand of brassicas last year and the deer never ate a single one. I plowed them under and planted clover. I would like to put some broad leaves back in the area but don't know what to go with.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jhalfhill

Rick, what type of plants are those turnips in your last picture from 12/10? Are they a Mossy Oak brand or generic? I planted a generic Agway brand of brassicas last year and the deer never ate a single one. I plowed them under and planted clover. I would like to put some broad leaves back in the area but don't know what to go with.
Sorry for the lack of updates. Those turnips are from a MO Biologic Full Draw. That seed ended up being mostly turnips and once hard frost hit them a few times they went bonkers over the tops. The deer are still in there eating the actual turnips now as well.........they love them. I will take pics in a few weeks when I get down there again. According to my Dad there are 10-15 deer in the plot every day during daylight eating the turnip bottoms right now.........Keep in mind the area surrounding this plot never used to have predictable deer movement in it. It was more of a travel runway to move among other core areas and the deer sightings were not regular..........now they are living in the woods all around it as primary bedding cover every day.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

ORIGINAL: jhalfhill

Sorry for the lack of updates. Those turnips are from a MO Biologic Full Draw. That seed ended up being mostly turnips and once hard frost hit them a few times they went bonkers over the tops. The deer are still in there eating the actual turnips now as well.........they love them. I will take pics in a few weeks when I get down there again. According to my Dad there are 10-15 deer in the plot every day during daylight eating the turnip bottoms right now.........Keep in mind the area surrounding this plot never used to have predictable deer movement in it. It was more of a travel runway to move among other core areas and the deer sightings were not regular..........now they are living in the woods all around it as primary bedding cover every day.
aren't those turnips the brassicas?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

I just had to give congrats to Rick for this post. I've learned alot from this.