HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Attracting Deer - Clover, Wheat or Oats? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/148552-attracting-deer-clover-wheat-oats.html)

Illini_Sportsman 07-19-2006 08:31 PM

Attracting Deer - Clover, Wheat or Oats?

I'm trying to decide what type of no-till small food plot I want to put down in September for the archery opener. I've narrowed it down to BioLogic Hot Spot, which contains winter peas and buckwheat, and possibly some brassicas. OR Whitetail Institute Sweet Spot which claims to have 3 different types of clover and a few other types of wheat. In general, which of these sounds more attractive to a deer? I was under the impression that clover is probably the most attractive forage, is that correct? Also, should I mix in some oats with whatever I decide to go with just for some variety, or would it not be good to mix store-bought oat seed with these blends?

farm hunter 07-19-2006 09:05 PM

RE: Attracting Deer - Clover, Wheat or Oats?

clover takes too long to establish (at least in my soils) for a fall planting - that you plan to hunt over that year.

The Brassicas should be planted in Late July at the latest for a fall plot.

Wheat, Buck forage oats and Rye can be planted right through Sept. even up north with good results in Late October. I'd go with one of these options if its a Kill Plot. You can overseed it with clover - and have clover for next fall - thats always a good option.

FH

Illini_Sportsman 07-19-2006 11:01 PM

I wonder why this Whitetail Institute Sweet Spot stuff says it contains 3 types of clovers, then? It claims it only takes a week or so to germinate. Would you like a link, or are you familiar with the stuff?

1sagittarius 07-20-2006 07:53 AM

Your winter wheat/oat - clover idea for a fall planting looks the best. Try to stick to white clovers rather than mixes with alot of cheap red clover. Red clover germinates well and makes the plot look good quickly, but the deer prefer white clovers.

The wheat-oats will provide fall forage - oats will freeze out, then wheat provides spring forage.... all the while protecting the clover as it gets started taking advantage of cool weather and fall and spring rains. The Wheat dies after seeding out, and you are left with a clover plot that will last 2-3 years with minimal care.

Concentrate on killing grass and weeds first with glyphosate (roundup) before planting.

Illini_Sportsman 07-20-2006 12:47 PM

sagitrarius, PM sent

IL_ray_phillips 07-20-2006 06:09 PM

I have tried various food plots around my properties and always seem to end up hunting bean fields around the opener. The deer seem to hit the clover and brassica in late dec. - Feb. when the corn and beans are cleaned up.

Illini_Sportsman 07-20-2006 06:17 PM

So I guess my new question becomes, is there anything I can plant in September (opener is Oct 1) no-till that will draw the deer away from the corn, beans and mast cropsin October/November and attract them to my stand?

farm hunter 07-20-2006 08:39 PM

So I guess my new question becomes, is there anything I can plant in September (opener is Oct 1) no-till that will draw the deer away from the corn, beans and mast cropsin October/November and attract them to my stand?
No - 3 weeks is not enough time for any plot to develop enough to pull deer away from known, established food sources.

Bait maybe?

FH

fshafly2 07-20-2006 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Illini_Sportsman

If you want to experiment, try austrian winter peas. A small plot on my farm this spring drew heavy attention with young soybeans nearby.
-fsh

Illini_Sportsman 07-20-2006 11:39 PM

Really? That is what's in BioLogic Hot Spot.