HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   building feeders (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/1480-building-feeders.html)

Fla Native 01-12-2002 06:41 PM

building feeders

I am looking to put out 2 feeders this year with a corn holding capacity so I only need to fill them about every other month . Does anyone have any plans for using 55 gallon drums and timed mechanisims from Cabelas ect. and where can you find drums or plastic containers for a bargin? any advice would be appeciated.

EAT WHAT YOU KILL...KILL WHAT YOU EAT!

jhuckeby18 01-12-2002 08:22 PM

RE: building feeders

You can make one out of 6 inch diamter pvc pipes and strap it to a tree and the corn will fall out as the feed is eaten...u would prolly have to fill those every 2 weeks that aint bad...email me at [email protected] if u want the plans for the feeders they work pretty well

Fla Native 01-12-2002 08:25 PM

TRIED THAT GRAVITY FEEDER METHOD ...TOO MANY VARMITS ,,BEARS ECT. AND THE DEER DONT SEEM TO HIT THEM VERY OFTEN..LOOKING FOR A TIMED FEEDER PLAN...THANKS

haveme1 01-13-2002 06:54 PM

I've ran into the same problem. I thought of opening a bucket & barrell store around here !! I have found metal barrels at fuel depos for 25 $ I cleaned them with rocks and soap. Put in soap, water and rocks then roll and roll! the way i got them up was to build a holder out of 4x4s and 2x4s. 6ft high It is a bit hard to climb but it works. I attached a feeder thing to the bottom.
The life time barrels are the way to go when these rust out on me. I spent 100$ and alot of time so 150 and its there isnt too much.

Fla Native 01-13-2002 07:02 PM

HAVEME WHAT DO YOU MEAN BYTHE LIFETIME BARRELLS??

PORK CHOP 01-13-2002 07:49 PM

try a KENCO game feeder, it holds 200 lb. of corn and has tri pod legs. It is a timer feeder and works very well.

buckmine 01-14-2002 07:41 AM

If you search hard you will find them 55 gallon barrels for free.
If you know anyone that works at a school sometimes a teacher can get them from Coke Cola or Pepsi for free if they say they are using them for recycling cans at school. The drums hold syrup so it is safe for the deer.

My brother works at the veterans hospital and he picks them up outside of his work. He is on the grounds crew so for him to pick them up is know problem. There they have to clean them before setting them out to be picked up.

A friend of mines father is a butcher and he gets them from a vets clinic where teat soap is stored in them. He then brings them to the local butchering plant where they have a high pressured steam sprayer and he cleans them out.

Down south it must be a problem with extra critters getting in the feed. Up here they are all sleeping through the winter. They don't come out until it gets warm which is around April.

Deleted User 01-14-2002 07:55 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

timbercruiser 01-14-2002 08:56 AM

Fla Native, we found some 55 gal plastic barrels at the Co-Op in Dothan. They were used to import olives and sweet peppers from Greece. Price was 12.50 each if you bought 20 or more. They are perfect for the use you want. The Game Country Scout in Cabela's is a nice feeder.

CatskillHuntr 01-14-2002 09:47 AM

Foregt it!!!

I spent $300 bucks on a tripod feeder & a hanging feeder. Bears destroyed the both of them. If you have bears in the area, you are better off with a food plot, or just throwing the corn out onto the floor.