Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Crows..... :(

Old 05-23-2006, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default Crows..... :(

After a major overhaul on my planter, I'm pretty happy with the sunflower and corn plots I've got in. The two corn plots are around 1/2 acre each. I expected deer damage, but the crows are taring me up! My seed spacing on the corn was a bit wide at 12-14 inches w/RR corn on 28 inch rows, and the crows are pulling up plants 5 in a row in places. I did some hand replanting last night, probably 150 seeds and have at least that much more I could do, just in the one plot. Too make matters worse, I planted some sweet corn in another spot and they seem to have wiped out my first planting. I've seen them in there a couple of times but not often enough to plan a lethal attempt at removal. Besides, they may do more good than harm as the crop progresses on insect removal. Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crows..... :(

Call your state wildlife agency. They can provide you with several things to try. Noisemakers, scarymen, etc. There are also some repellents on the market.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I always had a bigger problem with red birds than crows. Them suckers will ruin a small patch.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are not planning on harvesting the corn ,Just start between your first rows and replant with the right plate in your planter.You will get twice the corn per acer with less weeds.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Timbercruiser, red birds? do you mean black birds as in red-winged black birds?

Bawanajim, I considered double planting. My first plants are 2-3 inches. The second planting would be 3 weeks behind. Think they'd get adequate light to produce ears this far behind? I'd hate to have to invest in more fertilizer too. Think they'd produce ears this far behind and without fertilizer?

Anyone know when the crows will lay off? I would guess when the plants are no longer living off the seed nutrients the crows won't benefit from digging them up. That may already be the case.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: yeoman

Timbercruiser, red birds? do you mean black birds as in red-winged black birds?

Bawanajim, I considered double planting. My first plants are 2-3 inches. The second planting would be 3 weeks behind. Think they'd get adequate light to produce ears this far behind? I'd hate to have to invest in more fertilizer too. Think they'd produce ears this far behind and without fertilizer?

Anyone know when the crows will lay off? I would guess when the plants are no longer living off the seed nutrients the crows won't benefit from digging them up. That may already be the case.
The second planting would catch up before long.You could back the fertilizer off some if the ground is good.

Shoot one crow with a rifle from far away leave it lay where it dies Don't let the others know you shot it and they will be afraid to land in the field again,if they see you they will only leave when you aproch.The dead one serves as a reminder every day they see it.
Good luck Jim
Old 05-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, we call Cardinals as Red Birds around here.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Hmmm. Maybe I have the wrong culprit. We have lots of Cardinals and I have seen a couple leave the field just as I have the crows. Do Cardinals leave a tapered hole around the plant and move in a line down the row? This needs more study.........

Red-bird pie, yum.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its the crows!!!!!