Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

First food plot

Old 05-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Spike

Default First food plot

Planting clover. After plowing ,discing and liming what else do I need to do. This is our first food plotand have access to limited equipment.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:32 PM

Default RE: First food plot

seed and drag or cover.wait.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Pray for rain. If you can see when it starts to come up that it is getting choked out by weeds get some Arrest or Slay
Old 05-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

i'd wait a few weeks and let all the the dormant weed/grass seeds germinate. spray it with roundup, wait 7-10 days then spread your clover and run some sort of drag over it. that way you get good seed to soil contact without disturbing the top inch of the soil and bring new weed seed to the surface.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

roll it - roll it and roll it after planting. A good hard packed seed bed with decent moisture makes all the diference.

Mow it at least 2x in the first year ( to keep weeds from going to seed) and then 2-3 times per year to keep the plot vigorous.

FH
Old 05-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

this year I made my first food plot. I cleared about 1 1/2 acres, leaves and all back in January and Feb. Then in March and April I planted clover on rainy days, I don't have access to a tiller or anything so I do the best I can without it. The clover has came up well with recent rains and it really looks good. I also planted Lima Beans, Corn and Watermelons. The Lima Beans were the first thing I planted and they came up fast, the Corn and Watermelon I planted last weekend. It's hard work when you just have basic garden tools to do this stuff, but I enjoy the results.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Spike

Thank you for the advice guys. This is our first post, and our first food plot. We just want to do it correct. Farm hunter I do not have a roller or culti-packer any ideas what else I can use?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Spike

Farm Hunter The plot we are planting is just over 1 acre in upstate N.Y. It is and old hay field that was plowed and disced.We plowed it and ran the disc over and over it a couple of times over a few weeks. We just had 2.5 tons of lime spread on it. Need some advice on the next steps? Should we put 300 lbs of fert and disc the lime and fert into the ground? Then drag a chain link fence to smooth it out, roll it, seed and let it be ? Weare planting imperial clover.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

TW,
A farmer told me about this. A cheap but effective alternative to a cultipacker is to cut down a small cedar tree and drag over your seeds. I've used this method and it works great.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:33 AM

Hi guys. I am also putting in my first plot, primarily for waterfowl then later for deer. I am seeding corn, soybeans, and Japanese millet. Of course I have limited funds and equipment. The place I'm using is an unused portion of our backyard. ( it's a large yard). I mowed down tall grass and weeds with a riding mower. Then talked to a local farmer about plowing and discing. He agreed but he is also busy with his farm and markets. Since I talked to him we have received almost 2 inches of rain. It has rained every day for a week. I am wondering if I rented/ borrowed a large roto tiller and beat the crap out of the ground up to 6 inches or more deep, then plant- will that do well? I am really not into high yield or looks. Just want to get something to grow to attract geese and deer. Am I crazy or would this work??? Thanks!

Quick Reply: First food plot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.