HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   If I Cannot Plant, Then What? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/140664-if-i-cannot-plant-then-what.html)

TOPDAWGWOOFWOOF 04-25-2006 09:01 AM

If I Cannot Plant, Then What?

Guys,

Unfortunately, I have come to the realization that I may be unable to plant my spring/summer food plots at the family farm. I am frustrated to no end. The dry weather down here has prevented me from it and work has been busy, so I am left with limited time and may not be able to get them in.

My question to those of you with deer herd management experience, what have you done in the past for the betterment of the herd when you cannot plant? I always, always plant and this may be the first year I have not done so. Beyond frustrating. Angered. Ill tempered. tim Tebow.

Any ideas or advice appreciated. It makes me upset to think of my whitetail herd out there in the North FL heat this summer without the proper nutrition they need to help their bodies survive in this wretched heat. They depend on me and I have failed them. I want to do anything possible to help them out during these difficult, hot months of summer.

Again, any thoughts or ideas appreciated. Hope y'all get to spend some time outdoors this weekend with close friends/family.

TDWW

MOTOWNHONKEY 04-25-2006 10:09 AM

RE: If I Cannot Plant, Then What?

You could use some feeders to feed yourelusive southern whitetailed deer. With your 320 poundbench and 16 inch pythons (aka guns)toating the 50 pound bags of feed probably wouldn't make you break a sweat. I'm sure with your income driving the limos (respect) the cost of the feed for your elusive whitetailed deer would be no set back to you. Let me know if I can assist you in set up or stradegy. I hope you get some rain.

Criggster 04-25-2006 10:29 AM

Try improving the natural vegetation. Take some fertilizer and spread it out in select areas to help the native food sources. Have you thought about doing a browse cut? And, what about planting some berries or fruit trees? Once you have them established you can fertilize them and prune them and be done with it.

RonM 04-25-2006 11:25 AM

Hey dont take it so hard, they have survived for decades without you feeding them, and they will continue... put out some feeders and buy some grain for them

TOPDAWGWOOFWOOF 04-25-2006 03:08 PM

Thank you very kindly for the response, guys. I use feeders in the off season, but never hunt over them in the season (respect). I usually make it a point to wear a cut off flannel shirt in the summertime while entering the woods, guns visible to all.

Occasionally walk in with TWO 50 lb bags of protein feed over each shoulder and take it to feeders deep in the bottomland. Get to my designation, throw the bags off, look at my watch and say aloud "respect time."

I will continue to use the protein feed, but it just upsets me to leave the whitetail without the nourishment they usually have while enjoying life on the family farm. Hope they make it OK. Thanks again.

squirrelkilla23 04-25-2006 03:14 PM

you could try planting alphalfa or somthin like that. and it's also a good way to get rid of the extra manure from your farm.

motown, that comment wasnt needed. he simply asked a question.

North Texan 04-25-2006 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Criggster

Try improving the natural vegetation. Take some fertilizer and spread it out in select areas to help the native food sources. Have you thought about doing a browse cut? And, what about planting some berries or fruit trees? Once you have them established you can fertilize them and prune them and be done with it.
This is what I do. Fertilizing, brush sculpting, range reseeding, spot spraying, broadcast spraying, etc.

MOTOWNHONKEY 04-25-2006 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

you could try planting alphalfa or somthin like that. and it's also a good way to get rid of the extra manure from your farm.

motown, that comment wasnt needed. he simply asked a question.
Go find you a nut to play with squirrely

longrifle1000 04-25-2006 06:51 PM

Ithought it was hunters heaven down their.Sorry, can't help much. We don't have too much "wretched heat" up here.

And, I agree with Ron. The deer did just fine before you blessed them with your presence. They will manage, and continue to thrive without your help.

squirrelkilla23 04-25-2006 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Go find you a nut to play with squirrely
REAL mature there motown