Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Good Start on Food Plot, update (pics) >

Good Start on Food Plot, update (pics)

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Good Start on Food Plot, update (pics)

Old 04-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Good Start on Food Plot, update (pics)

Dan O, When I spread the lime it was still quite wet and I figured I better let it dry out some and I'll heed your advice, I appreciate it.

By your numbers I'm probably roughly just shy a 1/2 acre or more accurately, just over a 1/4 acre....I know the plot is roughly 50 yards by 40 yards or 150 ft X 120 ft. You have a good eye and I'm terrible with acreage. I kept wanting to go bigger and bigger..lol next thing you know I'll want to plant all of it including the soy/corn fields. But I better stick with this for my first trial.

I've wanted to plant this for a long time and kept saying I was going to and always put it off. I finally broke down and just did it. Reading everything I've been reading I totally agree with you and wish I would have disc'd it and limed it last fall but at the same time I hate disrupting the natural flow of the deer here. I've always left it alone until the day I hunt it for the first time and it's always done well for me. I've taken/seen alot of animals out of this particular treestand. SO far I'm amazed at the number of deer tracks in this plot...I know deer are drawn to dirt....I'm really getting excited about this. I may even make a fall plant here as well, OR extend it by discing and liming another section....thanks again.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

You could send a little of that weather down here. I'd be glad to trade some dry weather out with ya!

Have you been looking at little tractors yet?[8D]
Old 05-08-2006, 10:30 AM

What kind of disc are you using on your ATV? I'm thinking of getting one.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

looks nice
i might trim those bushes and set up a mock scrape under one of them...the tallest would be the best i guess
good luck this year hope you killa slob
Old 05-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks great. Gotta love a little mud too!
Old 05-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rob you can figure the acreage 43560 sq ft to an acre. Measurements are 208.7x 208.7 for lot size..
Old 05-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lol Texan, I hope by now you've gotten the rain you need and tractors are a ways off for now.

robinhood80, it's a King Kutter and I bought it at Tractor Supply for just over $500.

jimmy, I left those bushes for that exact reason. Last year several times I watched multiple bucks rub and scrape next to those, especially the larger as you said. Excellent observation. Here's a link to the start and what it looked like before I disc'd it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/Poorguy/2005_1001openingday0054.jpg
And here it was late last fall.

titleist, RonM, thanks guys.

ALL, I walked in last Friday to look it over for the first time in weeks since I spread the seed. With the rain, sun etc....it's greening up quite nicely. Mostly it's the rye grass but the clovers are coming on. I'll walk back in and take some new pictures to post which I'll do in a new thread and link this one. Thanks again everyone for the great advice. I'm having a ball with this so far and can't wait to hunt over it.

The next question which I'm reading a couple threads as well is when to mow, and if and when to fertilize.