Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 LOOKING FOR GOOD MINERAL BLOCK OR SUPPLEMENT FOR DEER >

LOOKING FOR GOOD MINERAL BLOCK OR SUPPLEMENT FOR DEER

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

LOOKING FOR GOOD MINERAL BLOCK OR SUPPLEMENT FOR DEER

Old 04-12-2006, 07:32 PM

Default LOOKING FOR GOOD MINERAL BLOCK OR SUPPLEMENT FOR DEER

i am looking for a good product to use for deer.
thank you.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: LOOKING FOR GOOD MINERAL BLOCK OR SUPPLEMENT FOR DEER

I haven't had a whole lot of luck with mineral blocks. At least the ones that I've tried. I just plainly switched to a good old block of salt and the deer seem to love it. Especially starting right now that things are starting to green up a little bit. Deer are searching for salt right now.

MN...I sent you an email.

Xtec
Old 04-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

FRM deer minerals,the best I've ever used.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Spike

Try this with salt. get uourself a large bag of salt, rock salt the kind they use to melt ice ,, at least up here . Fill an onion bag with the salt and hang it in a tree close to the trunk so when it rains it will soak into the bark and run down to the ground, Ive done this for quite a few yrs and found that the deer really love it once they find it , and they will,,, They lick and tear at the trunk and the ground all around . Try it i think you will be very surprised with the results, It may take a while. let me know how you make out
Old 04-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Manny's reply is pretty right on. We have used water softner saltin a 5 gal bucketof water and spread iton the ground. It's not fully dissolved but the rain usually takes care of the rest. We got some great holes the deer have dug where we used this. I have had mineral blocks behind my house and the deer just walk right past it.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:07 PM

I have my best luck by using just a plain yellow sulfer lick block and salt trophs. When I fill/replace the livestock I set some aside like the bits and pieces and take them out to the field for the deer by my stands they seem to like it so far have been doing this for many years...I pick mine up from Angelo Pellets there in San Angelo.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cobalt livestock blocks, cheaper than dirt and work.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:20 PM

hi this is mndeer hunter
do you guys that use salt do you use it all year long.
do the deercome to your salt sites through the whole year.
thank you

Old 04-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeap just leave it out replentish when required. Deer will come when they need salt in their diet.

Placement for effectiveness is key just like any other attractant.Transition areas (either cover from bed to sources) or small opening they may use for interment sources (small meadows that they may get water or grass/samplings to feed on). Where I hunt the majority of the time, deer travel to agriculture lands as their primary source. However they have "staging areas" in cover where they may eat, bed, etc.These are where I would place my licks.This may or may not be in a shooting window but all I want is to have them patterned to an area that I can work with.

I don't salt block much anymore as no need with all the cattle lands surrounding my primary areas - which they get the cobalt I mentioned already.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Definitely try trophyrock.com

Quick Reply: LOOKING FOR GOOD MINERAL BLOCK OR SUPPLEMENT FOR DEER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.