Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Brassicas...

Old 04-12-2006, 10:36 AM

Default Brassicas...

made the mistake of putting them in my food plot mix last year. they look like cabbage and they get huge and crowd out alot of the other plants and the deer really dont eat them. i thought the winter would kill them but it turns out they came back this spring. you think keeping them bush hogged down low enough for the clover to take hold will help?

I don't know why the deer won't touch them. I didn't get to lime the plot last year. Maybe are too bitter and need limed? Thanks for any input
Old 04-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Brassicas...

I planted two- 1/2 ac fields with Bilogic fall blend & 1/2 ac with Agways brand. After the Bilogic was devoured, the deer hit the Agway product. this winter. Will being planting Brassica again this year. bought the Bilogic at$3.00 a bag at Walmart.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Brassicas...

I plant Brassicas in July so that they are mature when the first frost hits, the deer hammer them after the frost, but they don't show any interest in them prior. I also noticed that they would dig up the turnips in January and February. I never noticed if the brassicas come back up in the spring, I will have to take a closer look next spring as I have already disced the plot this spring.