Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Oats in Spring?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Oats in Spring?

I was at my local rural king and saw they had a bag of Evolved Harvest Buck n Oats. It said that they can be planted in the spring for the much needed nutrition deer need at this time. I have never heard of anyone planting oats in the spring but only in the fall. Iam from southern indiana. Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Oats in Spring?

I have spot that is planted in oats right now, I had left over seed and did to level out a spot with a real bad wash out problem. The deer are keeping it mowed down and it doesn't wash out anymore.
I planted the last week of feb and it has worked out great, soon it will lose the taste that deer like though and go to seed, it did the same thing last year and once it got tall a bunch of rabbits and qual moved in and had a blast hanging out in it since ther was good cover.
Oat seed is cheap so sometimes I'll plant it and strip-till soybeans in there as well, there is alot less weed pressure that way. Check with your local farm supply for seed, 40lbs bag cost 10 or 11 bucks if I remember correctly.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never heard of oats planted in the fall to grow grain. Oats is typically planted in the spring in order for it to mature andhead out. Fall planted oats will come up, green up, and be killed by the first good frost. Sometimes its used as a cover crop because it grows quickly and won't compete with the main crop in spring. Perhaps you are thinking of winter wheat.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Fall planted oats will come up, green up, and be killed by the first good frost."

Yes, they will always freeze out up north. Oats usually do not freeze out in this part of OK. Buck Forage oats and Spike Plot oats are more resistant to freeze out.