Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Spikes! Should they be shot?

Old 02-23-2006, 11:53 PM

Default Spikes! Should they be shot?

I am a wildlife manager in south Texas on 56 thousand acres. We have an abundance of deer, too many in fact. The way I see it, a buck should at least have 6 to 8 points his first year. Not nessisaraly, large points, but countable points. Studies have shown that spikes are not always inferior, under good conditions. However being in south Texas, where we don't have perfect conditions, most of the spikes I see do not usually get much larger. I would like to here some input on this matter to broaden my prospective.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Spikes! Should they be shot?

Most of the time, no they should not be shot. The source of that idea is through QDMA meetings and other reading. They tell us that in our area the late breeding leads to a younger buck during antler growth season, thus a lot of spikes. Within 3 years they usually catch up in their antler development. I think the bigger problem is too many deer, both doe and bucks in a lot of areas.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:19 AM

I thinkit is a judgement call. I will not shoot a spike, unless I think he is 2.5 years old or older. I base this decision on a mistake I made a few years ago. I was hunting an oak flat on my farm the second day of season. My buddy told me about a huge spike he saw the day before. We were just starting to manage for better deer at the time, and he let it go. At daybreak I saw several does, and a large buck chasing them around. I could tell that he was a much larger deer than we are used to seeing here. He finally came my way and at 40 yards I decided to let him go. He weighed at least 170 field dressed and had about 14" long tines that looked like a main beam that did not branch. Most of the 2.5 and 3.5 year old deer here would dress at 150.

A few years later my neighbor told me a story about the biggest deer he had ever shot. He said it would weigh 200 lbs!! And, it was a spike!! It had to be the same deer. I wish he had saved the jawbone, but he didn't. I would guess he was about 5 years old, which is very rare around here. So, that's why if I see a spike that I believe is 2.5 years old or older he is walking dead.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:54 AM

whitetailman1982

Based on Dr. Kroll's classic book, you need to give them several years before concluding anything about their potential. I would agree also that the bigger issue for you is population control. I have a good friend that lives in Texas who is a very responsible/safe deer hunter. If you would like him to help thin your herd next deer season, email me.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

From my undestanding under QDM or TDM you would let them grow. TDM you shoot smaller 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 bucks. That is when you know what the gentics are. I am not 100%, but I think that is how it works.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:27 PM

Thank you all for your responce. We do have a population problem, but that isa problemthat takes time to fix. We have a lot of 1.5 and 2 year old 8 points or bigger that have a better chance of making a "monster." As a manager I try not to judge a deer before he is 2.5 years old, and at that point if he is not to my liking, he is gone. I would probably agree that a 1.5 year old spike should be left alone. However, it is hard to let that spike walk, when standing besidehim is a 15" eight point of the same age.That leads to yet another question. If a buck is 4 years old and is still an eight point should I let him walk?
Old 02-24-2006, 09:36 PM

Shoot 'em all.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:47 AM

ORIGINAL: whitetailman1982
If a buck is 4 years old and is still an eight point should I let him walk?
Now that's a whole different issue. I would say that if you are sure of two things here, then take him out:
1) Are you sure that he is 4 years old ?
2) Are you sure that better genetics are present in your herd ?

If yes to both, then take him out.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to give you a different perspective. If you are a wilflife "manager", then you have a boss. I would suggest that you consult him/them with this question and not a bunch of hunters on the internet. These forums can be good source of info for someone like me who has his own place, but you are employed as a steward of someone else's wildlife. Before you go blasting away at every 6 month old spike you see, I would suggest getting your bosses perspective on spike management and 4.5 year old 8 points. JMO!
Old 02-25-2006, 09:05 AM

Well when it comes to the wildlife here I usually do consult my boss first. I am just getting other people's thoughts about the topic, so that I have a more broad prospective on the issue.

Quick Reply: Spikes! Should they be shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.