Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Land CRP Options Question

Old 03-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default Land CRP Options Question

My uncle has a situation on his land. He can enroll his property into CRP next year, he is not eligable this year. With the government paying him $75 an acre to keep the old crop ground in native grasses. Or he could put it into a Hay field with a local farmer, which would be Orchard Grass, Timothy, Red Clover mixture. Which would pay about $20 an acre per year. It would asthetically look better and the Hay contract would be for a minimum of 2-3 years. The CRProute, he wouldn't get paidanything this year and it would be a 10 year contract, it probally wouldn't look as good or be as to easy to walk across,navigate etc...

Which would you do? This is only a 7 acre field, so we are not talking about big money by any means. Just looking for advice and opinions.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:46 AM

Default RE: Land CRP Options Question

do it
Old 03-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

the crp?
Old 03-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Go with the CRP program.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

CRP NO QUESTION!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:06 PM

CRP
Old 03-15-2006, 09:30 PM

CRP!! I'm sure its the same in every state since it's a federal program. You CAN bushhog once a year but it has to be after a certain date (august it think, definately check into the details before you 'touch' the land) So walking across it won't be a problem.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Woah....... Hold on Portable Ladder - don't rush into CRP.

If your Uncle has 100s of other acres then - maybe, and only maybe, is CRP a good option. If the 7 acre field is some of the only workable land - then your uncle will only tie up the property.

What can CRP do for you - that a Maintained - crop field cannot? Heck your uncle won't even have to maintain it - and will get a few dollars to boot?

Tell me guys, cause I don't see the benefit to putting a small property into CRP land.

FH
Old 03-15-2006, 10:23 PM

FH brings up a good point, I guess we all got a little greedy[]. CRP has always had a favorable light shined on it in our family because my uncle can have 100's of acre at a time in CRP. Heed that warning and search the option out fully. It is a 10year commitment, and when push comes to shove the Gov' can tell you what to do with you're own CRP land.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Spike

I am a resigned NRCS employee, land owner and land manager (I help people pick the best options to meet their goals and objectives).

Here is my two cents...

CRP is good, except...
- There are other programs that may pay better and have the same contract lengths and no public access...20 to 30% better with upfront dollars!
- There are programs that also pay better cost share...up to 90%!
- If you enroll the entire area, you may be taking away a very important food source AND CRP limitations are such that you can put a food plot on CRP BUT it is only 5-10% of the total acres not to exceed a total of 5ac...so you would end up with a VERY small food plot.

I am currious what type of CRP he enrolled into? The general signup doesn't start for a few weeks yet...do you know the practice name that he signed up for? Usually you get to pick your start date and he might be able to start now but receive pro-rated payments the first year. I am guessing this is the situation but has been provided the wrong info. I can give the exact info you can provide me with the practice name.

If you are going into CRP and you are planting native grass...ALWAYS plant Roundup Ready beans the year prior. You will have better weed control, better soil, more level site and possibly not have to do any site prep to plant (less disturbance of the soil also means less weeds). Results will be that you will get a better native grass planting. I have planted over 250,000 acres of native grass since 1994 so I am speaking from alot of expereince.

Look forward to your comments...

Land DR

Quick Reply: Land CRP Options Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.