HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   food plot keep deer out? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/135473-food-plot-keep-deer-out.html)

awshucks 03-06-2006 11:08 AM

food plot keep deer out?

Hi! I've read all the posts on food plots, been told here in my part of Arkansas, you actually have to keep the deer out of a plot until it gets somewhat established. There is very little green forage here, and they tend to tear it up as soon as the plants sprout. Any cheap solutions? I'd like to let the turkeys at it, while stalling the deer for awhile Thanks

jonesato 03-06-2006 11:21 AM

RE: food plot keep deer out?

Shoot'em!:D Actually I've read that Plotsaver works well. I've never tried it but it might help. You might want to also plant a fast growing annual to help alleviate some of the pressure you might get.

Snoogsdad 03-06-2006 08:56 PM

I tried PlotSaver and didn't have any success with it.

The best remedy is to plant enough that they can't eat it down to the ground while it's trying to get established. How much is enough is the tough question.

I've also read of some who actually put up a fence but that could get a little expensive.

I know I haven't been much help here but it depends a lot on your plot size.

kevin1 03-07-2006 07:29 AM

Punch a small hole in bars of Irish Spring™ soap and hang them around the plot , deer hate it . Another thing they hate is the smell of rotten eggs , blend some eggs with water and a little dishwashing liquid and spray liberally .

BuckAlley 03-07-2006 08:08 AM

I used the plot saver on my 1 acres food plot, and it worked great. No deer even touched it until it reached first mowing height. I mowed it, and removed the ribbon around. The deer went to town on it. I can see where if a good sized food plot the Plot Saver could become kinda expensive. Few yrs back I once saw people using the throw away foil pie tins tied to ropes around stakes to keep deer out of area. They make alot of noise when the wind blows.

Turkeyhunter1 03-07-2006 06:13 PM

Shucks, I use Liquid Fence. It is puketrid eggs(rotten). You spray it around the perimeter once, then wait 1 week. Then, spray 2 weeks later, and so on. You should be able to find them on the web.............;)

270sniper 03-07-2006 06:58 PM

I used the plot saver last year & followed the directions and sprayed the ribbon twice within 3 weeks. I would not waste my money, when I inspected a 1 ac clover plot there were 7 deer inside the ribbon and none on the outside clover plot

Snoogsdad 03-07-2006 07:27 PM

I sprayed the ribbon and plut a digital scouting camera on the plot. I got pictures of deer inside of the ribbon that evening. Maybe my small plot was just too tempting.