Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What to plant-corn or soybeans.

Old 01-14-2002, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What to plant-corn or soybeans.

St. Croix,
Is clover something to rotate with, or what about rye?
Also, you said to keep the soil ph down?

Can corn be broadcast, or maybe even tilled in with a higher seeding rate for some success?

I appreciate all the answers.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:34 PM

Yes, you can rotate in clover or alfalfa. Maybe something like a corn/soybean/clover for 3 years, top seeded with rye or oats. You also may be able to sneak another year of corn in, just watch your soil for signs of erosion. Topsoil takes years to replace naturally.

Excuse me about the ph, I meant to say basic. Corn tends to lower the soil ph, requiring lime to bring the ph back up into a suitable range. If you plan to plant clover I would suggest a ph of 6.2 or higher, and for alfalfa 6.4 or higher.

I have never heard of corn being broadcasted. My best bet would be to use a corn planter if at all possible to plant the corn. If you broadcast the corn it may be the case that the corn will grow in clumps, kind of like volunteer corn and produce smaller cobs, or no cobs at all. The closer the plants are planted to one another the smaller the cobs will be. Same situation occurs when soybeans are drilled rather than planted with a corn planter.

One additional note, don't forget to add the innoculant to the soybeans. And no need to rush getting the corn seeds in the ground, It sprouts when the soil temp. is 52 degrees.

Good Luck

Old 01-14-2002, 04:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-15-2002, 01:06 AM

Corn cannot be broadcast planted successfully. It's very labor intensive after planting and unless you do a lot of cultivating you'll end up with two feet tall stalks that don't bear anything. Soybeans can be broadcast and deer eat them throughout their life cycle from the moment they come up until they bear. The biggest problem I have had with soybeans is that the deer tend to eat them down while they're young and they don't get a chance to seed out. Larger plots will help prevent this.