Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

passing bucks

Old 02-10-2006, 06:49 AM

Default RE: passing bucks

One last point.

Chew on this QDM guys, and this is really for the "count the score on his head before I consider shooting guys". A few years back, when the average size of the buck killed was much smaller and deer numbers were fewer, a P&Y sized rack was considered a true trophy. With the careful management/farming of large racked bucks today and if you look at the trends of your major scoring organizations, the P&Y sized is no longer considered even a trophy by many. Many guys in this thread would not be "impressed" with a 125" deer.

So I ask, wheredoes it stop? If you have 1 hunter whocan look ata 125" deer and not be impressed anymore because they have shot so many or his buddies won't be impressed with his harvest, and the next guy who just wants to shoot a deeronce every few yearsbut will tell the story of that hunt 1000000 times over beers with complete pride, why is Big Deer guy better?He's not.....
Old 02-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The perfect comparison was metioned earlier.....If you compare this whole thing to women, it might help us understand.

Public Land - Imagine that you see a girl on a island, and she isn't the best looking or in tip top shape, BUT she might be the only girl you see for the next year. After talking to her sexy, she gives you the opportunity to take her home. Since she might be the only girl you see for a year and your hand is tired[:-]. You might want to really consider taking her home and wining and dining her and giving her a good time.

Private Land - You live in Hollywood, and you see a girl, and she isn't the best looking girl, you will probably not give her the time of day, because you know the whole state is just packed with slamming little hotties. Because you know there is a really good chance to run into a little hottie, you will probably pass on the not the best looking chick.

I know some public ground produces some huge bucks, depends on the area. So if you have the will power to hold out (compare this to women also) for 5-10 years, more power to you. Some people need to see a little reward to keep going. Like I said earlier, the majority of the people who stress QDM probably have 2-3 wall hangers and a box of $hit racks in the basement. As long as you get satisfaction out of it, then don't ever think your doing it wrong ~as long as it is legal.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The mountain lion and wolves do a good job here on the young and the weak. I like to pass on younger critters and let them have a chance to add some age and survivalskills to their resume.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:47 AM

<sigh> I never ranted, I never ridiculed...I don't belong to any QDM groups...I let small bucks go, HOPING I can take a bigger one at another time. If that is QDM, then so be it.

First thing I think ofwhen you make the comparison to women is that some guys are MUCH better with women, and will always be with more attractive women than your average guy, no matter WHERE they live.

On the other hand, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Shoot what you want to...you're a deer hunter, so I consider you part of the deer hunting "fraternity"...the ony time I get irked is when people say they shoot little bucks is because they don't "have any other choice"...you ALWAYS have a choice. Take a doe if you don't care about rack size...then everybody wins.

Again, if ANYONE felt I was ridiculing them, I sincerely apologize...I came across differently than I intended.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

Simply unbelievable. "Trophy mentality"??? What the he!! are you talking about? "Whining"??? What the he!! are you talking about? It's about a bigger picture than trophy bucks...it's about a trophy herd.

What a crock.......when are you gonna realize that your message would be better received if it wasn't wrapped in lies. QDM is about doing nothing more then being able to shoot a deer with a big rack on a regular basis. Every so called "trophy hunter" out there preaching QDM is just too lazy or not skilled enough to tag a big one right now due to their low numbers compared to smaller deer.........What is the easiest way to solve that problem????.........Don't shoot any deer so they all grow big antlers and then when you go hunting it will be as common to see a whopper as it is now to see a scrub. Then we can all kill them and put them on the wall and tell all of our friends what a great hunter we are. Forget doing it the old fashion way with hard work, scouting, and years of patience.........that is unacceptable in today's drive thru mentality.

Sorry if I cannot be PC about this but what kind of logic is "if it's brown it's down", "if I don't shoot it someone else will", "if it's legal then it's ok". Thats not logic, it's ridiculous.

It's literally amazing to me that so many people cannot see that the vast majority of hunters do not see the world as they do. I know it is hard to believe that anyone could possibly only have 4 days a year that they can get out hunting or don't own or have access to a bunch of private land.......but it is true. Believe it or not some guys don't even own a bow (GASP).........So when I see a guy that I have known for years loading a small buck onto his beat up tailgate with a smile from ear to ear I feel pretty good for him........I know he works 60 hours a week just to be able to keep a roof over his families head and shoes on his kids feet and I couldn't be happier for him that he had success on one of his few and far between trips into the woods. Come monday it's back to the grind for him.......he doesn't get to scout, he doesn't get to spend all year getting ready for next season.......he is a regular guy.........far be it from me to tell him how he should hunt and what he should or should not shoot.

Sure many states still allow it but it's not from advice given by biologists but rather to avoid the riots that would occur from the old school.
You say you are preaching facts but then try to back them up with opinion. Show me a biologist that would agree with killing the biggest and strongest males in the herd as a regular practice as a way of creating a strong and healthy herd........that is simply moronic.

Look at the massive wall of resistence Dr. Alt had in Pennsylvania but then look at the incredible results already being seen from the AR's.
I guess you think you know what your talking about from half way across the country. Maybe you should actually talk to some REAL people who hunt in PA and have done so for many years and you will find out that your "incredible" results are pure fairy tale.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:20 AM

>> So when I see a guy that I have known for years loading a small buck onto his beat up tailgate with a smile from ear to ear I feel pretty good for him <<

SO WOULD I!!! It's only if the guy then complained that he never sees any large buck that I would even DREAM of saying anything to him.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

It's just too hard tomange it on their own so they want to coerce others into helping them. It's whining for sure!

A truly off the cuff, thoughtless, factless, comment.

I am blessed to live and hunt in a state with a great deer herd and much of that is due to the years of sound management.

I'm sure being on the corn belt has nothing to do with it

What a coincidence that all the other farming states also share in this uncommon knowledge.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

This argument always intrigues me. I normally try to aviod these debates becauseI really don't care what anyone thinks about the size of deer I kill. If how I hunt bothers you that bad, then you have larger issues to contend with.

I can understand a guy who has the land, time, and means to hunt only for mature deer not taking a young buck. It's a risk that they are willing to take. Great. I respect the patience needed to do that. I will not argue your reasons because I really don't care. If it fulills your need, have at it! I am in no position to argue "your" reasons for doing anything.

I cannot understand the people who feel as if they are the superior hunter because they have the land, time, and means or patience for that matter. The comments from some of you ar laughable!!!

For those of you saying to "check yourself", calling out names like "Dense" "Stubborn" "Irresponsible"................are you serious? You honestly feel like you have any right to impose your way on anyone? It's an internet forum so I understand that people may say things here that they would never say to someone in opposition face to face, but again..............are you serious?

We are all hunters and just bacause you have "x" number of bucks that score "y" points......................you are not elite! Get over yourself. You hunt a different way because that's what floats "YOUR" boat.

Is it that hard to let others hunt the way they want without looking down your noses and without making stupid comments? Can you not just keep your mouth shut? What floats your boat does not float everyone's boat.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: stoneman

<sigh> I never ranted, I never ridiculed.........

Really??

ORIGINAL: stoneman

Shhh...look behind you...go ahead shoot, it has spots, but it has brown on it too, so...shoot it!

I'm going to be offering T-shirts for sale. let me know if you want to purchase them. Front and back will be emblazoned with the following:

"I'm a 'if it's brown it's down' kind of clown"

Atlas and Sylvan, that's two shirts, who else wants one?

Again, if ANYONE felt I was ridiculing them, I sincerely apologize...I came across differently than I intended.
I accept your apology..........having said that, your comments were stupid, childish and have no place in this forum (that is if I understand the new rules correctly) There is no reason why we can't discuss this topic without resorting to name calling.......we all should have left that stuff on the playground many years ago.

the ony time I get irked is when people say they shoot little bucks is because they don't "have any other choice"...you ALWAYS have a choice. Take a doe if you don't care about rack size...then everybody wins.
Have you ever hunted in a place that resembles a gauntlet more then a patch of woods?? I have seen so many deer in my life walking out of my range that I KNEW were a dead deer walking that I couldn't even count.........all I do is wait for the BANG!!!! If a deer is up and moving it is dead meat. The drives are relentless and the waves of hunters never stops. Letting a deer walk in the state lands I hunt is the same thing as helping a guy put him in his truck. You may as well just shoot him and drag him to the road and give him away.........same thing. If that is not reality where you live or hunt then I understand.......but you should also know that it IS reality in many areas of the country.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:50 AM

Let's not forget that it is a proven fact on this board that simply not shooting bucks for a couple years makes it EASIER to not only see big bucks on a regular basis......but kill them as well.

This flies in the face of all the BS that is preached about QDM. It's got nothing to do with herd health or an increased challenge of hunting mature deer. It is simply a way to make it EASIER to see and kill bigger deer....why this is preached by so many so called "trophy hunters" that supposedly prefer a greater challenge and get more satisfaction out of shooting a more ellusive, and more difficult to kill animal is a mystery to me.

Quick Reply: passing bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.