Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

passing bucks

Old 02-10-2006, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: passing bucks

"Trophy mentality"??? What the he!! are you talking about? "Whining"??? What the he!! are you talking about? It's about a bigger picture than trophy bucks...it's about a trophy herd. I, along with other "QDM nazis", subscribe to scientific FACTS obtained from years and years of field research conducted by educated wildlife biologists, not EMOTIONS pourred forth by those clinging to archaic backwoods campfire logic.
Rant all you like but nobody is listening anymore. QDM'ers have been preaching "its for the health of the herd" for years nownot but they have lost all credibility. All you have to do is listen for about 1 minute to know their "true" motivation and that is they want it easier to kill a trophy buck.It's just too hard tomange it on their own so they want to coerce others into helping them. It's whining for sure!

Look at the massive wall of resistence Dr. Alt had in Pennsylvania but then look at the incredible results already being seen from the AR's.
What "incredible results"? That's laughable.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also think the "if I don't shoot it, someone else will" is not really a mentality but rather a justification to ones self to shoot young deer.

It is a ludicrous statement to begin with and I for one don't buy it.
Assuming their kill is legal, no one needs to "justify" shooting a young deer any more than anyone needs to "justify" killing a trophy sized animal.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

It's just too hard tomange it on their own so they want to coerce others into helping them. It's whining for sure!

A truly off the cuff, thoughtless, factless, comment.

I am blessed to live and hunt in a state with a great deer herd and much of that is due to the years of sound management.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

A truly off the cuff, thoughtless, factless, comment.
It is a comment that rings true with an ever increasing numberof hunters across the entire country! QDM is dying and it is dying because the truth of the arrogant trophy mentality that drives it is becoming more and more evident with time.

I am blessed to live and hunt in a state with a great deer herd and much of that is due to the years of sound management.
As do I...

btw, you neglected to share PA's "incredible results" with us.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

It is a comment that rings true with an ever increasing numberof hunters across the entire country! QDM is dying and it is dying because the truth of the trophy mentality that drives it is becoming more and more evident with time.
And what may I ask do you base that on? Without doing any research at the moment but only speaking to personal observations, I can say that I've been on my soap box for QDM on the site for at least 5 years and there are many more supporting than I've ever seen.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without doing any research at the moment but only speaking to personal observations, I can say that I've been on my soap box for QDM on the site for at least 5 years and there are many more supporting than I've ever seen.
I believe you are indeed convinced of this but IMO you have deceived yourself.

btw, you neglected to share PA's "incredible results" with us.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:55 AM

>>Rant all you like but nobody is listening anymore.<<

LMAO...Nobody? You mean yourself and Atlas, right Sylvan? If there's been any ranting it's been from you two.

Shhh...look behind you...go ahead shoot, it has spots, but it has brown on it too, so...shoot it!

I'm going to be offering T-shirts for sale. let me know if you want to purchase them. Front and back will be emblazoned with the following:

"I'm a 'if it's brown it's down' kind of clown"

Atlas and Sylvan, that's two shirts, who else wants one?
Old 02-10-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

You mean yourself and Atlas, right Sylvan? If there's been any ranting it's been from you two.
Shhh...look behind you...go ahead shoot, it has spots, but it has brown on it too, so...shoot it!
stoneman, not only have I not "ranted" but if you had taken the time to read what I posted you would notice that, other than it be legal, I have not advocated any criteria for the taking of a deer, be it size, sex, #points or otherwise. That is what you and other QDM'ers and AR'ers are doing. And under the false pretense of being for a healthier herd. That is what I oppose. You have arrogantly taken it upon yourself to ridicule others for the taking of legal game and enjoying the sport in the way they choose. All I've said about your philosophy is that if you want to trophy hunt go for it, but your freedom to do that stops when it comes to telling others that they should adopt your philosophy. You integrity as a sportsman ends when you ridicule other sportsman legally doing what they love to do. Just look at your post. First of all you have "assumed" I ascribe to the "if its down its brown" philosophy and then make jokes and ridicule me for it. Doesn't sound like an advocate for the "scientific" virtues of QDM to me. Sounds more like a child whining when he doesn't get his own way. Just like I said. Wa, wa wa these guys won't help me get a bigger buck! wa wa wa... (see, I can ridicule and make jokes too! How about we quit the childish stuff?)
Old 02-10-2006, 06:39 AM

I agree that the excuse "if I don't shoot it someone else will" is a very weak argument for killing a deer, one of the worst.

But guys, almost every QDM hunter/landowner I know is a serious, dedicated deer hunter. They scout year round, place trail cameras out, shoot pics and video, make food plots, and spend weeks in stand each year. After reading all of these posts, it seems to me that they forget that the MAJORITY of deer hunters are not in any way that dedicated to shooting a large buck. Guys like my Uncle who hunt every year, but probably wouldn't shoot a deer if it sat on his lap. My brother who loves to hunt, but with his job may get out 3 or 4 days a year. I've got friends who take 1 huntingn trip a year and love it during that time.. .but if they don't shoot a deer during that week they get no deer. Those guys are the majority, and they don't care a bit about your quest for a huge rack or QDM.

My last point, for those basing their arguments for QDMon scientific research extolling the benefits to a deer herd, then why in most states do they have no antler restrictions, multiple buck tags or unlimited doe tags available? They base seasons, bag limits and buck / doe harvests on real research to control the quality of the deer herd. I have read an awful lot of research as well and there is defeinitely no scientific proof (yet!, I would acknowledge if it happens) forcing young bucks to be passed improves the "health" of the herd. What it does allow is more bucks with larger antlers to be in the woods each fall, but like I said, that isn't all that important to most guys.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

What it does allow is more bucks with larger antlers to be in the woods each fall, but like I said, that isn't all that important to most guys.
Yet to some, that's all that matters. Good post MA Jay!

Quick Reply: passing bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.