Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 When is the best time to plant in the south? >

When is the best time to plant in the south?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

When is the best time to plant in the south?

Old 02-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When is the best time to plant in the south?

I own 205 acres in north La. I kill plenty of deer, but the antler quality is not too good. I did kill a 130 inch 8 point this season, but that is the largest one I have ever killed on my property. The next closest to that scored 106. Even most of the 3 year + old deer don't have great racks. I know a lot has to do with genetics, but the soil quality is evidently poor in my area. I've killed lots of seven pointers that should have been much better deer. I don't plant plots and I rarely feed with corn. I will feed them corn during the winter to help them out until spring arrives. Of course our winters aren't exactly harsh. Yesterday it wasa bonechilling 71 degrees.I want to plant a couple of plots next year. I have not had access to a tractor in the past, now I do.Our gun season opens up at the end of October. When is the best time to plant for the season? I'm thinking the end of September. I'll probably plant some clover and oats. Will these grow in poor soil? Will I have to fertilize? I don't want to spend a fortune doing this. Any suggestions?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:18 PM

Default RE: When is the best time to plant in the south?

If it's as dry as it was this year, no time is a good time to plant unless you irrigate. We planted shortly after Katrina and got some growth but the lack of rain really hurt. According to most sites Sept. is a good time to plant. I was thinking about March or April this year but was told that if another drought occurred like last year that nothing would survive. As for what to plant it depends on the pH of the soil. I don't think clover does very well in anything but a neutral soil (6.5-7.5 pH). I'm not sure about oats. I plan on putting in lime this year to raise the pH and plant clover, alfalfa, and chicory this year. Hopefully it will last several years. There is a lot of good information on this site and in other posts. Also read information from the Whitetail Institute and other places. They are promoting their own product but they still have usefull information.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

First thing is to get a soil test and apply nutrients (lime etc) accordingly. I would plant a summer crop first, maybe Lab Lab or iron clay peas. Then in late Sept after watching the rain forcast plan on planting your winter grains. We planted too early and the dry weather ruined over 90% of our winter green fields.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

MAKE SURE TO GET A SOIL TEST AND FERTILIZE/LIME PROPERLY!!!! Doesn't matter if you can't get a huge 20 acre field in. Make sure you have quality before quantity if you want to see deer and help them. Lime in bulk is cheap at least do that if nothing else. Lime lets the plants better utilize the nutrient in the soil. So if you don't have good ph all your fertilizer will be wasted. Good luck

AP

P.S: Try a mineral lick this spring, deer love them and it gives them antler building nutrients. But don't expect everything to happen immediately, it takes time. let the little one's walk so they become bigger and you will see results.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oats are pretty hardy plants. I have to watch planting times because of freeze damage, but since your not planting them to actually harvest the oats, plant them whenever you have the best chance of getting some fall rain. September is the wettest month here (I think we average nearly 3"), so I try to get most of my winter crops planted then.