Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What type of Brassicas?

Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default What type of Brassicas?

Planting brassicas was suggested to me on my other post. (I thought it may get answered better on a new post.) Thanks Griggster!

What type or types of "Brassicas" would be good to plant for my area? I live in central Illinois. I have never really heard of brassicas. Is a turnip in the same family???

Looking for something that would go from Fall into winter, if that is possible? I hunt a small ten acre timber. There is almost no food source around after fields are plowed.There is not a big deer population, but several due travel through and around during prerut and rut. After thats over the deer are scarce. Just looking for something to maybe keep them hanging around awhile longer.

Wanted to know What "KIND" I should get. How "MANY", what size of area needed. I can follow direction. But any planting tips would be great!

Any other suggestions in this area would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks a Bunch !!!

Old 02-02-2006, 07:43 AM

Default RE: What type of Brassicas?

I would say either rape or kale. Depending on hom much open area you have I would say at least 1/2-3/4 of an acre. This is a pretty good article on Brassica and what type and when to plant.
http://www.whitetailstewards.com/articlesonsite/deerhabitatmanagement/brassicas.htm
Old 02-02-2006, 11:14 AM

I just bought a bag of Shot Plot the other day at Wally's. It is 2.5 pounds and is supposed to plant 1/2 acre depending on the method. Here is a list of the ingredients: Temuka Rape, Barkant Turnip, Barabas Turnip, and Rangiora Rape. You may want toget a mix like this one as opposed to ordering individual seeds from a company. If you can find it local you can save. I got his bag for $10, and have checked otherseed companies web sites. Prices range from $2 to$3 a pound plus shipping. Dwarf Essex Rape, Purple Top Turnip, and Kale will fit the bill, if you can find it locally.

I planted a 1/4 acre plot the fall before last and it lasted about 5-6 weeks once the deer started eating it. I saw six does that constantly fed on it. There was no other crop or grass around. So,next timeI will double the area. If you want it to last theminto the winter be sure to plant anadequate amount.I planted mineat the beggining of August and after about three frosts the deer really hit it hard. Good luck, and keep us informed.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks very much guys for taking the time to read my post. It's people like you that makes this forum work so good!! I'm going to check it out!

Thanks Again!!
Craig
Old 02-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Check Wallmart for Biologic'sFull draw is what you are looking for. i got mine for$2.50 a bag.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I planted some with turnups and some other stuff it was more for winter. the deer don't seem to be that excited. It did come in good this is a early picture of the plot

Old 02-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I planted some Dwarf Essex Rape with some clover this past summer, and had some OK results. Especially whenthe snow melted back this January.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with Purple Top turnips this next year.

Some say a mix of Beets, Turnips, Kale and Rutabegas are good choice.

I don't have enough experience to comment much more on Brassicas.

FH
Old 02-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

my food plot had the purple turnups in it didn't really seem to attract deer
Old 03-13-2006, 05:27 AM
Spike

"Brassicas" are in the radish family just to bring an example a little closer to home...sugar beats, rape, turnips, etc.

All are high forage producing and because of this high starch content, it has a sour bitter taste through the growing season. Freezing changes the starch to sugar...no different than why sugar beat farmers pile their beats up through the winter to freeze, converting the starch to sugar and then the sugar is processed out.

Due to deer not grazing thebrassicas through the growing season, you can get away with small plot sizes.

Brassicas areeasy to plant and comes up fast. Due to the large leaves, it tends to shade out other weeds (canopy). You can just throw it on the ground and you will get some some plants...however, as always, some site prep and good planting techniques are going to increase your success many fold. There is no such thing as "no till" or "throw and grow" unless you have a "no-till" drill that you are using for planting. The marketing gimmic on those brandsare that they double or triple the seeding rate...if you put enough seed on the ground of course anything will eventually grow.

Issues?

Brassicas areannuals so that means annual site prep, annual planting, etc.

If it doesn't get cold enough where you are at or if it gets cold much later (such as after the hunting season), then you may not see the deer eating it and/or it will not be the "fall attractant" that you are expecting. This year we had a mild winter and the deer didn't start eating my brassica plots until mid January.

Turnips don't work...I think what is going on here is that the deer prefer other brassicas first but will come back to the turnips later. Deer have season preferences and they are no different than you and I on how they select what they eat. Steak and shrimp might get eaten first and then later you come back to the mac and cheese.

If it doesn't get cold enough were you are at, you may want to try late planted soybeans, oats or wheat for your fall attractant. Clover with chicory is also good and is perennial rather than annual. You will need to have larger plot sizes to reduce over grazing but you can determine that need as you go along.

Land Dr
Old 03-21-2006, 06:59 PM

I tried rape (forgot the variety) and purple top turnips with little use here in central MO. I tried them for several years in a row. They came up great, look goodand we got the cold weather, but deer rarely used them as a food source. We do have a good supply of other food sources, as farmers tend not to plow fields in the Fall, wheat is common and there are several legume fields in the area (also plenty of oaks in the area). There are a few varieties of brassicas that have been design for grazing, that weren't out there when I gave them a go.

A fall cereal blend works well for me. Deer seem to hit this blend through out the winter.

I would ask other people in your area to see if there are local favorites that deer prefer. Or at least, I would include a mixture of brassica and cereal blend to hedge your effort.

Quick Reply: What type of Brassicas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.