Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Converting Pasture into Wildlife Friendly >

Converting Pasture into Wildlife Friendly

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Converting Pasture into Wildlife Friendly

Old 01-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Converting Pasture into Wildlife Friendly

I hunt land on land in NW Mo and my grandfather always had cows on the land. Well now we have taken over the land and want to convert it into a more friendly deer, turkey, pheasant, quail habitat. I've purchased 350 seedlings from the Mo Conservation Dept which are mostly oak trees, quail bundles, hickory trees etc. The pasture right now is a strip of trees that we currently hunt and the pasture is nasty fescue. I have some questions and am looking for advice. We have limited resources but would like to get rid of the fescue and plant more bird friendly grasses. Also we were wanting to hire a farmer to plant a corn or soybean food plot on a section of land. The property is 100 acres and is basically fenced into four sections. We have a new pond on the property that is seeing turkey and deer quite frequently. What opinions would you guys recommend that isn't too expensive. Thanks guys.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:42 PM

Default RE: Converting Pasture into Wildlife Friendly

You may want to convert a portion into meadow field and gain some profit from the hay. Just see if you can get a neighbor to cut it; cut it on the halves, give him half for cutting it and sell the other half to him or someone elsefor market price. I do this with about 8 acres of meadow.

You may want to check with your local NRCS office, and see if they have some conservation programs. I enrolled in Wildlife Habitat Improvement Program (WHIP) on my land. I could have planted a field border with native warm season grasses, and/or lezpedeza. Either of which is better than fescue. The program pays you 75% of the cost of seed, labor, etc. You have to sign a contract for either 5 or 10 years. You have to leave the practices in place for this time period.

If you have any streams running through the property ask the NRCS about the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP). This program pays for about 90% of the cost of planting trees along the stream corridor, and fencing if need be. Be sure to check out these programs before you spend anymore of your money. Good Luck!!
Old 01-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Criggster, currently we do hire a farmer to cut hay currently but I think I wanted it to go back to a more natural setting. Currently to the East of the property is CRP land that has been that way for about 15 years now. Having him cut the hay gives us direct money to put back into the land which is good.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Apply Roundup tothe areas of fescue that look most promising (good soil type, good drainage, good cover nearby).

When its good and dead - then overseed a good clover mix.

I'd suggest a White Clover mix - and mow it 3 times/year.

Clover loves Potassium -(K) -orpotash as its sometimes known. sometimes 100lbs per acre of 0-0-60 potash on a new clover planting will really jumpstart it.

A soil test would be advisable though.

FH
Old 01-18-2006, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ditto the other two's advice. definitely check into CRP/WHIP with NRCS. You will have to decide what your main goal is prior to starting your project. If youi want strictly wildlife habitat, you will probably want to kill the fescue (or portions of it). and plant clover - I like ladino(and other annuals or warm season grassesin different locals). Consult wil NRCS/Soil & Water District/Extension staff for input - they may be able to help with planning etc. They also may have access to a no-till seeder that would be helpful for establishing various species. Also see if there are any wildlife agencies (Turkey Fed./Pheasants 4ever, Buckmasters, etc.) that may assist with seed purchase/establishment.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys again, I am having a wildlife biologist from the NRCS go out to the property and tell us what can be done. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it was mine I would rent it to the farmer and let him moldboard plow it and plant it in field crops, after he plows and works the fields , leave out a strip of about 20 ft around the perimeter and seed it in clover. You might need a reduced rental fee the first year or so as it will need lime , fertilizer,and added expenses on the part of the farmer. Have the perimter deal and all the above mentioned in your lease before you start, so he knows what his obligations are, in fact it should probably be rent free the first year and let him seed the clover , and get the land back in farming condition... But have an understanding before you start, and you get your food plots for free and still have room to roam around the fields and look for deer sign where to build you stands, open up shooting lanes, etc.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Here you guys go this is the property right now. You can assume everything except the obvious tree line is fescue. As you can see it is divided into four parts with the middle sections divided by a tree row. I thought that would be an excellent place to plant food plots on either side of that tree row.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:42 PM

first....before you spend a dime on anything else....kill that fescue...
Roundup with 1 quart/acre in 8gallons of water with a good surfactant about April 15. Then hit it again about June 15.

Contact Private Lands guy for your county with MDC...line up your seed through him for NWSG....

Old 01-24-2006, 03:27 PM

ok, dumb question, but "fescue" is?

Quick Reply: Converting Pasture into Wildlife Friendly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.